Mickey Harte set to discover fate amid doubts about future

A decision is expected tomorrow evening on the future of Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.

Mickey Harte set to discover fate amid doubts about future

Club delegates are due to receive a report on talks held between the treble All-Ireland winning boss and a county executive delegation, headed by chairperson Roisin Jordan.

Doubt has surrounded the issue of Harte’s reappointment since the Red Hands made their exit from the All-Ireland Championship following defeat by Kerry in last month’s semi-final.

It’s understood a number of issues have been matters of concern, including the manager’s refusal to conduct interviews with RTÉ, the size of his backroom team, and availability of players to their clubs.

For the first time since his appointment in late 2002, Harte does not have an agreed extension to his term. But he has made it clear that he wants to continue for a 14th season.

And he has been on the look-out for fresh talent over the past two weekends, when he attended a number of club championship games.

Meanwhile, champions Omagh crashed out of the Donnelly Vauxhall Tyrone SFC in a tense and dogged quarter-final at Carrickmore last night.

Dromore scored just twice in the second half, but a heroic defensive effort secured a 1-10 to 0-7 success.

Dromore seized control in the final 10 minutes of the half, with Niall Sludden and Eoin McCusker thumping over magnificent scores from distance.

And Ryan McMenamin pushed forward for the point that sent them in at the break with a 0-9 to 0-4 advantage.

A Conor O’Neill free was Dromore’s only score of the second half, but Omagh could manage just three, through Conor O’Donnell, O’Neill and Grugan.

And the St Dympna’s men killed the game off with a 59th minute goal from substitute Fearghal O’Neill.

Coalisland finished strongly to see off Donaghmore by 0-17 to 0-9 at O’Neill Park, where former Tyrone pair Plunkett Kane and Paddy McNeice scored four points each.

Trillick defeated Greencastle by 0-14 to 1-7, with teenager Lee Brennan bringing his scoring tally to 1-17 in two games with a seven points haul.

Meanwhile, Carrickmore retained the Tyrone SHC title with a 1-14 to 1-13 win over Dungannon, Aidan Kelly converting a winning free in stoppage time.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up