Gutsy Templederry hold off neighbours to reach first final

Templederry had to survive a late Silvermines surge before claiming a place in the club’s first ever North senior hurling final courtesy of a 0-25 to 3-13 win in Nenagh.

Gutsy Templederry hold off neighbours to reach first final

Templederry were the better side and led 0-13 to 0-4 as half-time approached but an Orrie Quirke goal gave Silvermines encouragement. Templederry continued to pick off their points in the second half and with six minutes to go, were ahead 0-24 to 1-12.

Then came the Silvermines surge. David Keogh’s goal after 56 minutes left them only five points adrift and though Templederry responded with a point, a goal by Jason Forde from a free in injury-time cut the lead to three points.

However, time ran out on The Mines, and Templederry deservedly go through to the final thanks to the excellence of team captain Gearoid Ryan, Eanna Murray, Adrian Ryan, and the Stapletons. Silvermines have relied heavily on county man Jason Forde for their scores but he was kept well in check and registered only 1-2 of their tally.

A goal by Paul Flynn nine minutes from time sent Kildangan on their way to the North final and a 2-24 to 1-21 win over Portroe in an exciting tussle.

Favourites Kildangan looked in trouble as Portroe finished the first half strongly with a goal by Ruadhan Mulrooney to lead 1-15 to 0-13 at half-time. Kildangan had the breeze behind them in the second half but it took them 20 minutes to draw level at 1-21 each. Paul Flynn’s goal then put them ahead and they added three further points to Portroe’s one in the closing minutes for a deserved win.

County goalkeeper Darragh Egan scored 11 points, five from frees, for Kildangan with Joe and Tadhg Gallager, and Willie Connors others to play to form. County U21 footballer Kevin O’Halloran had a fine game for Portroe with the Sheedys, and Darren Gleeson also to the fore.

Favourites Loughmore-Castleiney were taken to extra-time by an improving JK Brackens in the Centenary Agri Mid Tipperary senior hurling semi-final at the Ragg, after the sides finished level at 1-19 each at the end of normal time.

A lively first half had Loughmore trailing 0-9 to 0-8 but John McGrath swooped for a great Loughmore goal on the half-hour, sending them in leading 1-8 to 0-10 at the break.

Three points in as many minutes at the start of the second half put Loughmore in the driving seat. They extended their lead to six at the start of the last quarter but JK Brackens finished strongly.

Lyndon Fairbrother’s goal on 49 minutes inspired them, and the county minor star pointed three frees, the last in injury-time, to level at 1-19 each.

They were locked at the end of the first half of extra-time, but a Liam Treacy goal for Loughmore in the second period proved decisive as they went on to win 2-16 to 1-24. They will meet Sarsfields in the final.

John McGrath scored 1-9 for Loughmore, while Cian Hennessy, Evan Sweeney, John Meagher, and Liam Treacy also figured prominently. Shane Bourke, Colin O’Riordan, Eamon Corcoran, Darren Russell, and Lyndon Fairbrother were Brackens’ top performers.

Knockavilla Kickhams shocked Clonoulty-Rossmore in the West Tipperary senior hurling semi-final, with a powerful second-half display for a 3-12 to 1-10 victory. They will meet Eire Og Annacarty in the final.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.