The board wrote to the LGFA last week flagging a potential clash should Cork defeat Meath in the All-Ireland qualifiers on August 3 and qualify to face Galway in the quarter-final on August 15, the same day Cork camogie could potentially be in the All-Ireland semi-final.
However, a statement released yesterday by LGFA insists the football game cannot be changed due to broadcasting issues with sponsors TG4. Speaking on behalf of the Cork Ladies Football Board, secretary Kieran Keane said: “Our dual players are second class citizens.
If it happened that the dual stars in the men’s game had a football match at 3pm, there’s not a hope the hurlers would be asked to go play at 6pm. The only way that anything will ever change is if a ladies dual star gets seriously injured, and it is going to happen some day.”
Regarding the potential clash, the LGFA stated: “The potential clash on August 15 was discussed by both associations. The Cork ladies footballers must first play Meath before any clash arises. Regardless of whether it is Cork or Meath that do play that fixture on August 15, it is one that TG4 will be broadcasting live on the day.
“The LGFA has a responsibility to our sponsors, broadcasters and the nearly 100 players affected by this fixture to give clarity regarding fixtures allowing counties and their management teams to plan their season as far in advance as possible.
“It is impractical and unworkable to attempt to plan a fixture list based on possible clashes between different codes that may never arise.” Meanwhile, Camogie chief Joan O’Flynn has defended the association’s rules after criticism from Dublin manager Shane O’Brien, who has railed against the possibility that his team’s All-Ireland fate may be decided by a coin toss.
Should Clare defeat Derry this coming weekend they will finish the group stage level on points with Dublin and, with the sides drawing their head-to-head meeting, there is no provision in the rule book to separate them on points average, points scored or conceded.
Hence the possible need for the coin toss. O’Brien has called the situation “disrespectful” and claimed his players are “distraught”. “We do a fixtures review every October,” said O’Flynn yesterday. “So, October 2014 there was a discussion about club and county dates - the usual - and there was a sounding taken whether we should avoid playoffs in the event of teams finishing level in group stages.
“The preference from the workshop was, yeah, so there was then a process to find a system for the eliminator. The system in place was reissued on October 31 for consultation and there was no written dissenters from any counties and certainly not from Dublin.
“That then went to Ard Comhairle for decision in November and it was decided and published at the start of December. They are the pre-determined rules for the competition so there’s no surprises in it,” said O’Flynn. “It applies across all the All-Ireland championships, not just senior.” Ard Stiurthour O’Flynn also explained that a Camogie Association Ard Comhairle meeting on Wednesday night reaffirmed the November 2014 guidelines.