Both senior deciders were held at Páirc Uí Chaoimh last month, with the presence of Frontline Security Group the source of much negative comment.
At last night’s Cork County Board meeting, Munster Council delegate Richard Murphy reported from the recent provincial meeting, which had featured what he described as a “robust” debate regarding the use of the security firm.
“Considering the debate that we had prior to the game,” Murphy said, “and regarding the debate afterwards, the feelings of this county were made very clear.
“There seemed to be agreement that this was a departure from the norm and there was no support from any other county for the use of security firms in the future.
“It was totally unnecessary [to employ them for the finals] and that was generally acknowledged, it’s something that I don’t think would happen in the future.”
Cork chairman Bob Ryan, who had spoken sternly at the Munster Council meeting, endorsed those views.
“I think the Munster Council executive would think very seriously before doing it again, based on the robust debate,” Ryan said.
Murphy’s report also revealed that attendances for the Munster Senior Hurling Championship this year were up 37% on the 2013 competition. Even when the replay between Cork and Waterford is removed, the figures still showed a 13% increase.
In addition, crowds for the U21 hurling championship were significantly up, but the senior football championship showed a drop of 35% compared to 2013.
Ryan also made clear that county championship games scheduled for the weekend of August 23/24 won’t be changed if Cork beat Tipperary in Sunday’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final.
“There’s a whispering campaign out there, but let me be clear here,” he said, “if Cork beat Tipperary, then all of the games for next weekend will go ahead.
“That has been agreed with the senior hurling management and that’s the way it’ll stay.”