Central Council confirmed Saturday they will put forward another motion to next year’s Congress proposing 20 metre frees and penalties be struck from the 20m line.
In a statement, Croke Park explained the original motion had been removed from last month’s Congress Clár as it would have impacted on all free pucks and sideline balls. The new proposal will only pertain to 20m frees and penalties.
“At least it’s put to bed for this year,” said Ryan. “Whatever will be will be next year but my greatest issue with it, and it was the same for a lot of people, was I felt it targeted one man and I didn’t see that as fair. At least it’s parked for this year and now let’s see if it’s an issue as some might think it is.”
A motion calling for substitutions to be made stoppages in Championship matches is likely to be put forward as a motion at February’s Congress. It follows the decision by Central Council yesterday to accept the Central Competitions Control Committee’s (CCCC) reservations about the clock/hooter and postpone its introduction to the Championships until next year.
The CCCC were concerned with how the apparatus was used to waste time in making substitutes during last month’s Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cup finals weekends in Belfast. According to the rulebook, referees can’t allow additional time for the time taken for a team to make a replacement. Their report proposed rule changes were required to ensure the operation of the system as intended. Further trials will take place in the third level leagues towards the end of the year.
In his annual report, GAA director Páraic Duffy had raised questions about how the public clock could be manipulated to run down the time remaining in a game. A new committee has been formed to review the state of hurling and draft proposals to improve the game.
Chaired by former Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy, the group will also include Michael Duignan, Ollie Moran, Paul Flynn, Ollie Canning, Cork Central Council delegate Des Cullinane, Pat Henderson, Terence “Sambo” McNaughton and ex-Galway camogie player Veronica Curtin. Former Tipperary and Munster PRO Ed Donnelly will act as secretary. There is no representation from any of the developing counties nor Clare, Dublin or Wexford.
Their terms of reference will be agreed upon at a meeting between GAA officials and committee members at the start of next month.
However, it is expected to be in line with the brief handed to the Football Review Committee (FRC) and a steering body who will canvass opinion before filtering and refining recommendations. Meanwhile, all counties have been instructed to stage a special meeting before the May 24 meeting of Central Council in relation to the FRC’s proposals on competition structures.
Delegates were told on Saturday that counties must either back the FRC’s suggestions or come up with alternatives to put before Central Council next month. Further steps to process the report will then be decided upon with the possibility of motions being drafted for next year’s Congress. As expected, Central Council have postponed the implementation of the new minimum age of 16 at minor inter-county level until 2015. As was passed at Congress last month, Fingal’s entry into this year’s Nicky Rackcard Cup means a revised draw. Roscommon and Donegal will face off in preliminary round with the winners facing Monaghan. In the other two first round games, Tyrone face Sligo and Fingal take on Louth.