O’Rahillys put Milltown to sword quickly

Kerins O’Rahillys 1-15 Milltown/Castlemaine 0-12

The winners set out their stall in the opening 10 minutes and raced into a four-point lead. Barry John Keane (two frees and a point from play), a Declan Quill free and a good effort from John Ferguson firing them ahead.

The Tralee side’s midfield pairing of David Moran and Micheal Quirke dominated throughout, despite the best efforts of veteran Mike Burke for the losers.

Milltown/Castlemaine was forced to wait until the 25 minutes for substitute Derek Twiss to open their account from a free. He accounted for seven points of his side’s total, one coming from play, and that summed up the Mid Kerry side’s problems as they attempted to reach the semis for the first time.

There was good movement in the O’Rahillys attack with Keane, Quill, Barry John Walsh and Jack Savage to the fore and their opponents were constantly on the back foot.

Twiss converted his second free and Donal Kelleher scored a point before the break to leave four between the sides (0-7 to 0-3).

Derek Twiss and Quill exchanged early points before Gary Kissane denied Milltown’s John O’Connor with a brilliant double save in the 35th minute.

There were some ugly scenes with a mini brawl before order was restored and Derek Twiss again pointed from a free to keep Milltown hopes alive.

The losers were dealt a setback in 38 minute when Barry John Keane set up Barry John Walsh for the only goal of the match. Walsh followed up with a point and his return to form may well not go unnoticed by Eamonn Fitzmaurice and the Kerry management.

Marcus Mangan from a 45 and Ian Twiss from a free narrowed the gap to five points but the winners rattled off five unanswered scores from Keane, Savage, Moran and Kieran O’Mahony.

Milltown never gave up and scored four points on the trot through an Ian Twiss free, a point from Paul Carroll, and a pointed free from Derek Twiss.

There was a final exchange of points between Savage, from a free, and a point from play from Derek Twiss, as O’Rahillys advanced to the semis and with Quirke and Moran controlling the air at midfield, none of the other three teams will want to be drawn against them.

Scorers for Kerins O’Rahillys: B J Keane 0-5 (2f), D Quill 0-4 (3f), B J Walsh 1-1, J Savage 0-2 (1f), D Moran (f), J Ferguson and K O’Mahony 0-1 each.

Scorers for Milltown/Castlemaine: D Twiss 0-7 (6f), I Twiss 0-2 (2f), M Mangan 0-1 (45), P Carroll and D Kelleher 0-1 each.

KERINS O’RAHILLYS: G Kissane, T Begley, M Tierney, A Thompson, G Duffy, G O’Grady John O’Connor, M Quirke, D Moran, J Ferguson, B J Keane, K Walshe, D Quill, B J Walsh, J Savage.

Subs: B Moran for G Duffy, S Brosnan for J O’Connor, K O’Mahony for J Ferguson, D McLoughlin for D Quill, E McGrath for K Walshe.

MILLTOWN/CASTLEMAINE: J Daly, N Colgan, D Murphy, J Blennerhassett, P Carroll, M Mangan, J O’Connor, M Burke, B Delaney, C McKenna, S Murphy, P Wren, C Moriarty, D Kelleher, I Twiss.

Subs: D Twiss for B Delaney, C Kerins for C McKenna, N Wren for J O’Connor, J Hayes for P Wren, M Wren for M Burke.

Referee: S Mulvihill (St Senans).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up