Catherine’s take over in second-half

St. Catherine’s 2-14Dromina 1-8

The contest could have been wrapped up by half-time, such was the dominance Catherine’s enjoyed, but wastefulness in attack meant only Patrick Roche’s goal separated the sides at the break with Catherine’s leading 1-5 to 0-5.

The fact Dromina had yet to register a wide by half-time reflected their efficient shooting, but it was also an indication they were living off scraps.

Meanwhile, Catherine’s repeatedly spurned scoring chances, racking up six wides and wasting other chances through overcomplicated play in front of goal.

Ger Hayes and Andrew O’Shaughnessy worked tirelessly for Dromina but from one to 15 they couldn’t match the skill and pace of Catherine’s who always threatened to break away if they found their scoring touch.

Having spurned a goal chance in the second minute, Roche atoned by pulling on a Ronan Clancy free to net for Catherine’s opening score on 10 minutes handing them an early lead.

Despite controlling the remainder of the first-half, they struggled to put Dromina away and just four minutes before the break the teams were deadlocked at 0-5 to 1-2. But Catherine’s showed signs of what was to come with three unanswered points. The game was effectively decided eight minutes after the restart when John Mulcahy reacted quickest to a loose ball in the Dromina goalmouth, whipping it to the net to take his team seven points ahead.

Points from Clancy, Matthew Mulcahy and substitute Damien Farrellextended the lead before Dromina sub Jonathan Jordan knocked the ball into the Catherine’s net after the defence failed to deal with a long delivery from O’Shaughnessy.

With just five minutes remaining the goal was little more than a consolation score for Dromina who, at this stage, looked like a team who knew they had simply come up against a better team.

It was Catherine’s who had the final say with points from Daniel Mangan and Clancy rounding off a comfortable victory.

Scorers for St. Catherine’s: P Roche 1-2, J Mulcahy 1-1, R Clancy 0-4 (4f), M Mulcahy 0-3, S Kearney 0-2, D Mangan and D Farrell 0-1 each.

Scorers for Dromina: A O’Shaughnessy 0-5 (3f, 1-65), J Jordan 1-0, K Hayes 0-2, B Bowles 0-1.

ST. CATHERINE’S: E Ahern; S O’Brien; C Hegarty; E Kenneally; C Ahern; R Clancy; L O’Connor; S Cotter; S Fitzgerald; P O’Connor; S Kearney; D Mangan; M Mulcahy; P Roche; J Mulchay.

Subs: D Farrell for Cotter (44).

DROMINA: K O’Callaghan; D O’Shaughnessy; J O’Connor; B Naughton; D Carroll; J Delee; M Naughton; P Hassett; G Hayes; J Finn; G Healy; K Hayes; P Hayes; B Bowles; A O’Shaughnessy.

Subs: J Jordan for G Hayes (41), J Hamilton for Healy (43), R Morrissey for Finn (53).

Referee: P Downey (Inniscarra).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd