Finbarr’s triumph as Douglas fail to fire

ST FINBARR’S produced a workmanlike performance to see off a Douglas outfit that never got into their stride in an uninspiring Cork City JAFC final replay at Riverstown last night.

Having failed to show any real impetus early on, Douglas were gifted a way back into this final in the 46th minute when Connor O’Donnell rifled home the game’s only goal to double his side’s tally and level the scores. However, not even this strike, their sole score from open play, could rouse a subdued Douglas side.

Early Douglas pressure yielded an easy free on two minutes which O’Donnell duly put over. Having dominated the first half in Ballinlough on Saturday, the Douglas supporters could be forgiven for expecting their side to build on this early lead but what followed were 29 scoreless minutes with just one more O’Donnell free added by half time.

In contrast to the first game, it was the Barr’s who dictated play. Dave Bracken was winning plenty of ball at centre-back while Denis O’Brien and Eoghan Finn spearheaded the attack. It took 11 minutes for them to get off the mark but two scores from Tadhg Guiheen and O’Brien in the space of a minute handed the Barr’s the lead.

There was a marked difference in hunger between the teams, with the Barr’s winning the majority of breaking balls and Rory McCarthy and Cormac Holland putting in big tackles in defence.

Douglas just couldn’t impose themselves and gave away needless frees. Were it not for a lack ofcomposure in front of goal Barr’s could have been out of sight by half time, instead they took a 0-4 to 0-2 into the interval.

A moment of rare quality in theDouglas attack saw O’Donnell through on goal six minutes after the restart but his effort was well stopped by Declan Murphy.

The corner-forward made no mistake 10 minutes later but his goal was cancelled out by two O’Brien frees and a stunning point from substitute Fionán Murray which was enough to see St Finbarr’s crowned champions.

Scorers for St. Finbarr’s: D O’Brien 0-5 (3f); P Murphy 0-1 (1f); F Murray, C Madden and T Guiheen 0-1 each.

Scorers for Douglas: C O’Donnell 1-4 (0-4f).

ST. FINBARR’S: D Murphy, D O’Brien, R McCarthy, C Holland, C Lougheed, D Bracken, I Power, J Burns, A O’Shea, T Guiheen, G Neff, P Murphy, C Madden, D O’Brien, E Finn.

Subs: C Nagle for Guiheen (49), F Murray for Neff (49).

DOUGLAS: J Prior, F O’Brien, R Keating, B Collins, N Gannon, D McSweeney, A Shinnoch, C Lucey, A Clarke, M Carroll, B O’Callaghan, B Cuthbert, C O’Donnell, T O’Connor, C McCarthy.

Subs: B Finn for McCarthy (19), J Khra for O’Connor (25), C Collins for Finn (40), D O’Sullivan for O’Brien (53), P Clarke for Shinnoch (58).

Referee: James Dorgan (Nemo Rangers).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up