Broderick stars as Tynagh Abbey-Duniry stun Gort

GORT, runners-up two years ago and defeated in the semi-finals by Portumna last year, were surprisingly sent crashing out of this year’s Galway SHC title race when they lost to Tynagh Abbey-Duniry.

Former All-Star Kevin Broderick was the hero for Tynagh–Abbey-Duniry with a second-half goal that brought his side back into the game after trailing by 2-5 to 0-7. Goals in either half from Keith Killilea just weren’t enough for Gort.

Three-time All-Ireland club champions Athenry — winners of seven Galway SHC titles since 1994 — are in danger of losing their senior status. The former kingpins lost their fourth game when they completed their pool programme when they were defeated by Kiltormer 1-14 to 0-7 yesterday and will now go into the relegation play-offs along with Turloughmore, Killimordaly and Carnmore.

Results elsewhere meant that Kiltormer also failed to make it to the knockout stages of the championship.

Last year’s beaten finalists Loughrea edged Craughwell 0-19 to 1-15, with Jamie Ryan getting the goal.

Reigning champions Portumna qualified with ease for the quarter-finals with a comprehensive 3-21 to 0-11 victory over Killimordaly. Damien Hayes scored a first-half goal that pushed Portumna into a 1-13 to 0-3 half-time lead. Joe Canning added two further goals for the champions in the second half.

Galway wing back David Collins became the hero for Liam Mellows when he scored a goal from a 20m free to put his side in front after a tough battle with Ardrahan who led 2-6 to 0-5 at the break. An Alan Clancy goal started the Mellows revival and after Collins’ goal the city side took control as Ardrahan added just two points.

Turloughmore were defeated by Tommie Larkin’s 3-20 to 2-14. Larkin’s led 3-11 to 0-8, but second-half goals from veteran Francis Forde and Michael Costello at either end of the second half helped make the scoreboard respectable.

Clarinbridge secured a place in the knockout stages when they drew with Beagh 3-14 to 1-20, with Joe Gantley getting the goal for Beagh.

A late Paul Coen penalty and Mark Kerins point salvaged a draw for Clarinbridge.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up