Brave Cummins bloodied but unbowed

TIPPERARY goalkeeper Brendan Cummins has revealed a dizzy spell prevent him from returning for the closing minutes of Sunday’s Munster SHC victory over Cork after receiving seven stitches in a head wound.

Cummins dashed off the field with blood spurting from a cut over his right eye after diving bravely at the feet of an in-rushing Cork attacker.

Sub keeper Darren Gleeson was called and played the last nine minutes of normal time plus three extra for stoppages as Cummins felt dizzy after receiving treatment.

The All Star goalkeeper is in no danger of missing the semi-final clash with Clare on June 21 but after he was patched up by team medics, a decision was taken not to allow the Ballybacon-Grange clubman back onto the field.

“I thought I might be able to come back on. I asked the medics what the cut was like and they said they could fix me up. Peter Murchin was fantastic, he got the job done, stopped the bleeding and bandaged me up but when I went to sit up I became dizzy. It was no place for someone dizzy out there but I did get to see the last two or three minutes once my head settled.”

Before he had to go off, Cummins had brilliantly saved Pat Horgan’s 42nd-minute penalty after Timmy McCarthy saw a goal controversially ruled out.

Cummins reflected: “It was a tricky one. From the outside, you would have looked at the ball in the net but I do remember hearing the whistle going. It’s hard to know if our fellas stopped and would Timmy have scored anyway but on a day when inches were involved, that was something that went our way. If Cork buried the penalty, it would have been immaterial but we had a few decisions we might be unhappy with and Cork the same.

“With the penalty save, it was one of those things, you hope for the best and the best happened. I just tried to get in the way of the ball.”

Cummins revealed that in the goalmouth scramble before the penalty, the hurley he has used for the last nine years was broken.

Just minutes later, he was off the pitch himself after throwing himself bravely in front of Horgan.

Cummins recalled: “I remember a ball came over the top and they had an overlap. I was slightly off my line and felt that the ball might come through to the last guy. I went down on the ball and was turned upside down. It was an accident, the Cork player was committed and it was one of those things.”

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up