O’Mahony to rescue as Barr’s refuse to yield

St. Finbarr’s 1-11 O’Donovan Rossa 1-11

O’Donovan Rossa looked clear winners after they opening up a six point lead with 12 minutes to go, but dogged Barr’s were rewarded for their persistence with a magnificent Fionan Murray goal, which gave them the momentum to go on and share the spoils.

At the finish it took a brave save by Kevin O’Dwyer to deny Murray a second goal and possible victory.

Barr’s led after just 10 seconds with an Ian Keeler point and were two to the good by the third minute.

Skibbereen soon thundered into the game and, with Conor McCarthy giving Aidan Fitzpatrick a roasting at centre-forward, it took a timely block by Michael Shields to deny the Cork forward a goal in the fifth minute.

Barr’s switched Rory McCarthy on to Rossas dangerman to little effect before the Skibbereen side struck for a goal of sheer class from Rob Long following a great move.

Fionan Murray had the sides level after 15 minutes and Conor McCarthy kicked two excellent points to edge his side in front. Barr’s were living off scraps but they levelled through Cathal McCarthy and Robert O’Mahony.

It was only a temporary respite, however, as the West Cork side, landed three points on the trot to lead 1-6 to 0-6 at half-time.

Barrs reshuffled their team for the second-half. Ronan Curran went to centre-back, Jim O’Donoghue went to midfield with Trevor Olden moving to wing forward, and inside five minutes had the deficit down to the minimum with points from Murray and Olden.

Skibb’s response was immediate and Daire O’Regan kicked hree excellent points. Don Davis added another and when Alan Tanner stormed forward to kick a point, Rossas looked home and dry with a six point advantage and 12 minutes left.

However, Barr’s refused to yield and, after Jim O’Donoghue got a point back, Murray threw the issue wide open with a marvellous goal.

O’Dwyer denied Murray a second goal with a timely block, but the city side were rewarded with those two late points by Robert O’Mahony.

Scorers: St. Finbarrs: F. Murray 1-3 (0-1 free); R. O’Mahony 0-3; I. Keeler 0-2; C. McCarthy, T. Olden, J. O’Donoghue 0-1 each.

Rossas: R. Long 1-0; C. McCarthy, D. O’Regan (0-2 frees), E. Hodnett 0-3 each; A. Tanner, D. Davis 0-1 each.

O’DONOVAN ROSSA: K. O’Dwyer; F. Crowley, K. Cotter, E. Nealon; A. Tanner, P. Nealon, S. Crowley; N. McCarthy, R. long; C. Keohane, C. McCarthy, E. hodnett; D. Davis, D. O’Regan, J. O’Driscoll. Subs. J. Werner for O’Driscoll; D. O’Sullivan for E. Nealon.

ST. FINBARR’S: K. McTiernan; M. Shields, A. Cronin, P. O’Brien; T. Olden, A. Fitzpatrick, R. McCarthy; A. O’Shea, R. Curran’ C. McCarthy, J. O’Donoghue, I. Keeler; R. O’Mahony, F. Murray, C. O’Grady. Sub. K. Kelleher for O’Grady.

Referee:J. Geaney (Kilshannig).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up