A dramatic finish to the Glandore based Marine Hotel Fastnet Rally saw Michael Barrable (Subaru WRC) emerge victorious.
Throughout seven of the day’s eight stages in a sunny West Cork, Barrable trailed defending champion, Kenny McKinstry, who subsequently retired with engine problems paving the way for Barrable and co-driver, Dermot O’Gorman to take their first victory in the Fastnet Rally.
Local crew, Liam McCarthy/Kieran Murphy (Toyota Corolla WRC) were just seven seconds behind the winners and eight ahead of third placed, Patrick Elliott/Martin Cahill (Subaru WRC).
McCarthy and Elliott were second and third respectively with the former taking the 023 Tiles Southern 4 Championship.
Overseas driver, John Dalton (Darrian) took a commendable fourth ahead of top rear wheel drive exponent, Denis Cronin (BMW M3). Tommy Graham (Subaru WRC) made steady progress to
claim sixth ahead of Steve Fleck (Subaru WRC), who won the Get Connected series.
Willie Fannin (Subaru) won the battle for Group N honours, he was eighth overall.
Cahal Arthurs (Toyota Celica) was ninth and Group N driver, Kieran O’Callaghan (Mitsubishi) was second in the category and tenth overall on an event that was the 21st anniversary of the first Fastnet Rally.
1. M. Barrable/D. O’Gorman (Subaru WRC) 1h. 05m. 08s.
2. L. McCarthy/K. Murphy (Toyota Corolla WRC) 1h. 05m.15s.
3. P. Elliott/M. Cahill (Subaru WRC) 1h. 05m. 23s.
4. J. Dalton/G. Jones (Darrian) 1h. 06m. 19s.
5. D. Cronin/H. O’Sullivan (BMW M3) 1h. 06m. 32s.
6. T. Graham/A. Nestor (Subaru WRC) 1h. 06m. 48s.
7. S. Fleck/A. Card (Subaru WRC) 1h. 07m. 45s.
8. W. Fannin/R. Price (Subaru) 1h. 07m. 47s.
9. C. Arthurs/J. Kelly (Toyota Celica) 1h. 07m. 49s.
10. K. O’Callaghan/D. O’Donovan (Mitsubishi) 1h. 08m.39s.