Cork driver, John McCarthy kept his one hundred per cent record in the KBB Doors National Forest
Championship intact with victory in the Circuit of Wicklow, the third round of the series.
In difficult conditions, McCarthy, in his Subaru Impreza 555 led all the way through the day’s six
stages. Initially, former champion, Dermot Kelly was his closest rival – he trailed the leader by six
seconds after two stages but his rally ended on the third stage when he crashed out.
Edie Kinirons slotted his Toyota Celica into second a position he maintained until the finish as McCarthy went on to extend his winning margin to 38 seconds.
Kevin O’Kane brought his Subaru home in third place – ahead of the Group N Subaru of John Shanahan, who had a minor excursion on the sixth and final stage.
The rear wheel drive category was won by John Reid, his Escort was 38 seconds ahead of Paul Staunton.
Apart from Kelly, retirements included John Donnelly (Escort WRC) and James Murphy (Escort Cosworth).
1. J. McCarthy/D. Maguire (Subaru Impreza) 48m. 34s.
2. E. Kinirons/G. Shinnors (Toyota Celica) 49m. 12s.
3. K. O'Kane/F. Regan (Subaru) 49m. 51s.
4. J. Shanahan/J. McLoughlin (Subaru) 50m. 10s.
5. B. McCloskey/D. Duffin (Escort WRC) 50m. 25s.
6. K. Lynch/M. McNicholl (Subaru WRC) 50m. 50s.
7. J. Reid/B. Green (Escort) 52m. 24s.
8. P. Staunton/B. Burgess (Escort) 53m. 04s.
9. N. Driver/J. Shinnors (Escort) 53m. 47s.
10. B. Lawlor/P. Kavanagh (Escort) 54m. 04s.
Nicholas and Philip Doherty (Peugeot 205) won the Munster Navigation Trial, the final navigation of the season held in Macroom.
1. N. Doherty/P. Doherty (Peugeot 205) 9 penalties.
2. K. O'Sullivan/J. Deasy (Primera) 29 penalties.
3. D. Creedon/M. O'Riordan (Corsa) 77 penalties.
In the Cavan Autocross, Ronnie Coulter (Astra) set the fastest time of the day, his Astra was some two seconds ahead of the Opel Tigra of Dessie Tierney.
1. R. Coulter (Astra) 4m. 18.53s.
2. D. Tierney (Opel Tigra) 4m. 20.59s.
3. M. Moffett (Peugeot 205) 4m. 21.73s.