Leading from the start, Sean Gallagher and co-driver, Liam Costello (Escort Cosworth) dominated the Midland Mini Stage Rally in Carrick on Shannon and ran out convincing winners by 39 seconds.
They set fastest times on all four stages – opening up a 24 second lead at the service halt. Alan Nesbitt in a Toyota Celica finished second ahead of the similar cars of Sean McArdle and George Cullen.
James Cullen retired his Honda Civic with a blown engine.
1. S. Gallagher/L. Costello (Escort Cosworth) 30m.17s.
2. A. Nesbitt/E. Sherry (Toyota Celica) 30m. 56s.
3. S. McArdle/G. McMonagle (Toyota Celica) 31m. 04s.
4. G. Cullen/D. Brannigan (Toyota Celica) 31m. 06s.
5. D. NcNulty/E. McGarrity (Escort Cosworth) 31m. 58s.
6. T. & K. McGovern (Escort) 31m. 59s.
7. N. McQuaid/V. Fields (Escort) 31m. 59s.
8. C. Mavitty/B. Milne (Mitsubishi) 32m. 16s.
9. J. Kelly/R. Shaw (Honda Civic) 32m. 40s.
10. J. Sleator/B. Nooney (Mitsubishi) 32m. 41s.
Today marked the opening of the Kart race season at Kartworld, Watergrasshill where an exciting Formula A race was by Michael Slein (Dublin).
Challenged throughout most of the race by Cork karter, Brian O’Mahony, Slein’s passage to the chequered flag was eased when O’Mahony made an uncharacteristic error two laps before the finish.
Formula A: 1. M. Slein; B. O'Mahony; 3. L. Farrell. Rotax Max: 1. N. Dunne; 2. L. Farrell; 3. D. Geraghty.
Junior Restricted: 1. G. Cole; 2. M. O'Gorman; 3. R Cregan. 125 Nationals: 1. F. Faherty; 2. P. Mahon; 3. M. Daly.
Cadets: 1. A. Farrelly; 2. R. Gordon; 3. S. Crosbie. Super Pro-Karts: 1. B. Kavanagh; 2. G. Lodge; 3. E.
Pro-Karts: 1. G. O'Donovan; 2. T. Corcoran; 3. E Buckley.
Jica: 1. J. McCarthy; 2. C. Breen; 3. A. Maybin.
The Killarney Loose Surface Autocross resulted in an easy win for the defending Munster champion, Gerard Lucey (Toyota Special). He finished some five seconds ahead of David Forde, also in a Toyota Special. Eddie Peterson recorded the final victory in the Hewison Autotest Championship at the Curragh (Kildare).
His win netted him second overall in the series won by Eamonn Byrne.