Racing: Cheltenham could be re-arranged for April
Owners, trainers and racegoers are digesting the news that the National Hunt code's most prestigious meeting, Cheltenham, had been postponed.
The meeting, a 150,000 sell-out, was called off following changes to the clause of the terms set out for dealing with the foot and mouth crisis.
Edward Gillespie, Cheltenham's managing director, has already apologised for the abandonment.
Tristram Ricketts, BHB secretary general, issued a statement on when the festival could be re-arranged.
He said: "BHB was of the view that it is not in the interests of racing as a whole to re-stage the fixture in the days immediately following the existing programme days," said Ricketts.
"BHB and the Jockey Club made it clear that total adherence to any instructions issued by themselves and MAFF would be mandatory before any fixture could go ahead.
"BHB continues to act with the utmost care, and has therefore decided that the fixture should be postponed."
Ricketts described the postponement as a serious blow to racing.
"However, we will work closely with Cheltenham's executive to plan the restaging of the event at a practicable time in April," he concluded.
Cheltenham has a minor meeting scheduled for April 18 and 19 which they can extend to a three day meeting.
That would mean a direct clash with the important Craven Flat race meeting at Newmarket.
Another option would be to hold the Festival meeting the following week. However, one of Ireland's premier jumps meetings, the Punchestown Festival, is also scheduled for that week although racing in Ireland is currently banned.
Scotland's important Perth Festival meeting is also scheduled for that week.



