The national governing body scheduled three possible dates for this year’s national championships but conditions forced the first two dates to be cancelled.
Development Officer for Irish Surfing, Zoe Lally said: “While we do not anticipate conditions as good as last year, this is our third attempt to run the event and the call is we go in the conditions available this weekend.”
The event was scheduled to allow flexibility in choice of venue, either Easkey, Co. Sligo or Bundoran, Co. Donegal. Bundoran was chosen as the forecasted conditions are likely to be better there than Easkey.
There are at least 10 categories scheduled for the event with the possibility of additional overage divisions depending on entries.