England confident in shock Trott call

ENGLAND are confident their surprise call-up of Warwickshire batsman Jonathan Trott for this week’s fourth Ashes Test will not backfire in a similar manner to last year’s shock selection for the Headingley Test.

Just 12 months ago, the selectors decided to choose Australian-born Nottinghamshire seamer Darren Pattinson for his one and only Test against South Africa and faced a storm of protest about his roots Down Under.

Although Pattinson claimed two wickets, his selection ahead of Durham’s Steve Harmison was regarded as a major mistake with England slumping to a 10-wicket defeat which contributed to them losing the series and forced the resignation of Michael Vaughan as captain.

But as they prepare to return to Headingley for Friday’s next encounter in the npower series, national selector Geoff Miller has been prepared to take a bold step again by choosing 28-year-old Trott, who was born and raised in South Africa.

But coach Andy Flower insisted there were no qualms bringing him into the Test squad for the first time to give them an option of playing six specialist batsmen should Andrew Flintoff fail to recover from persistent right knee problems.

Asked about his South African connections, Flower stressed: “That does not concern me. He has committed himself to Warwickshire and English cricket and has been committed for quite a while.

“He has already played one or two Twenty20 games for England, he has been on Lions tours, he has been in that Warwickshire dressing room for a long time and it does not worry me.”

Trott played for all South Africa’s age group sides up to U-19s before switching to qualify for international cricket with England through his father Ian. His first experience of international cricket was not a good one when he scored just 11 runs in two Twenty20 Internationals against West Indies two years ago.

There were whispers that he struggled to fit in with some of the personalities around the dressing room on that occasion, but that is of no concern to Flower.

“I was involved when he last played and thought he fitted in fine and I am pretty certain he will fit in absolutely fine again,” said Flower. “If that was the case it won’t be the case again.”

“Playing in the Ashes could be a huge thing,” said Trott. “It’s something you wait all your life to be given this sort of opportunity. It will be something new and Ashley told me on the phone earlier today that every player is nervous before their first Test – I will look to enjoy the moment, be positive and believe in myself.”

In addition to Trott’s call-up, England have added Ryan Sidebottom and dropped Monty Panesar from their party, with two spinners deemed unnecessary for Headingley.

Durham’s Steve Harmison is retained in the squad despite blistered feet sustained during last week’s championship win over Sussex with Sidebottom being called into his first Ashes squad of the summer as cover.

More in this section

Join us for a special evening of Cheltenham chat on Friday March 12 at 6.30pm with racing legend and Irish Examiner columnist Ruby Walsh, Irish Examiner racing correspondent Tommy Lyons, and former champion jockey and tv presenter Mick Fitzgerald, author of Better than Sex.

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Home Delivery
logo-ie

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.