SNA allocations 'should have been a good news story', Fianna Fáil meeting hears

Sources at the party meeting said people were 'very annoyed' at cuts to support
SNA allocations 'should have been a good news story', Fianna Fáil meeting hears

Education minister Hildegarde Naughton confirmed on Tuesday the review had been “paused” to allow for further consultation. File picture: Sam Boal/Collins

The Government turned what should have been a “positive story” about special needs assistant (SNA) allocations into a negative story about cuts to supports, the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party meeting heard.

The Irish Examiner understands that the weekly meeting was “dominated” by discussions about SNA allocations several hours after education minister Hildegarde Naughton announced a pause in the review process.

The first schools across the country learned of plans to reduce their individual number of SNA posts following recent reviews by the National Council for Special Education (NCSE).

Of the 585 reviews conducted by the NCSE to date, roughly 187 schools will see reductions.

The NCSE is expected to continue to update schools in the coming weeks.

Sources at the Fianna Fáil meeting said that there were a “lot of contributions” from party members about the furore, and people were “very annoyed”, saying it was “totally unacceptable that schools would face such a cliff edge”.

It is understood that there was anger over the fact that the SNA allocations “should have been a good news story”, highlighting that there would be 26,000 SNAs from September 2026.

One TD said the Government had “made a bags of it”, adding that it was “on the back foot” trying to defend cuts.

It is understood that several TDs criticised the NCSE and how it had approached the allocations, with people stating that SNAs cannot be removed from schools who are already under “enormous pressure”.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin told the Dáil on Tuesday no school should lose six SNAs.

However, it is understood that several TDs told the meeting that no school should lose any SNA.

One TD described the situation as a “shitshow”, while another branded it a “shitstorm”.

One Fianna Fáil TD pointed out that TDs from all parties and constituencies raised SNA issues with the Taoiseach in the Dáil, noting it was unusual for everyone to be raising the same issues.

Ms Naughton confirmed on Tuesday the review had been “paused” to allow for further consultation.

I have listened carefully to all of the issues raised by parents and school communities in recent days.

“I want to reiterate that there are no cuts to SNA numbers.

“I want to ensure that SNAs are with the children who most need their care.

“To that end, I am pausing the review of SNA allocations.

“I, the Tánaiste, and the Taoiseach are engaging intensively to ensure that all of the concerns raised are really understood, and children with special educational needs are fully supported.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Education told the Irish Examiner that “no further letters will issue” to schools until there has been “engagement with the NCSE”, and there will be further “re-engagement after the mid-term break”.

  • Louise Burne is Political Correspondent.

x

More in this section

Politics

Newsletter

From the corridors of power to your inbox ... sign up for your essential weekly political briefing.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited