Government and opposition on collision course over speaking-time proposals
TDs are to hold a crunch meeting of the Dáil’s reform committee on Wednesday.
The Government and opposition appear on a collision course over speaking-time proposals, with TDs to hold a crunch meeting of the Dáil’s reform committee on Wednesday.
Opposition parties could refuse to agree to pairing agreements with the Government, where absent ministers' votes are paired with opposition TDs, if the Government insists on introducing contentious Dáil speaking-time reforms.
Sinn Féin are also threatening to block the formation of Oireachtas committees, with party whip Pádraig MacLochlainn saying that he is “ruling nothing out”. “If the government thinks this is business as usual, they can forget about it,” Mr MacLochlainn said.
Opposition TDs fear the Government will ram through changes to the operation of the Dáil, given its majority on the committee.
Government proposals tabled last week called for the introduction of specific speaking slots for the Regional Independent Group to question government ministers, including the Taoiseach.
It comes in response to Ceann Comhairle Verona Murphy’s ruling that the Regional Independent Group — which has pledged support for the Government — could not form a technical group as part of the opposition.
Ms Murphy has since written to all members of the committee, calling for a swift resolution to the matter.
The ceann comhairle said she wanted to “facilitate consensus” and bring discussions to an end on Wednesday.
The Government proposal has been rejected by opposition leaders, with a joint letter to the Ceann Comhairle on Tuesday describing it as “making a mockery of our democratic system”.
“You cannot be in government and opposition at the same time. Neither the size of a government majority nor the consequential ability to force through a government proposition can change that democratic truth,” the letter read.
It added that Ms Murphy needed to ensure that leaders’ questions remained solely for opposition TDs.

However, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said that the Government would not be “railroaded, browbeaten or intimidated” by the opposition over the speaking rights issue.
Read More




