Central Mental Hospital admits Cork man who has spent eight months in prison
The court heard that the reason that the hospital was unable to accept the prisoner was due to the fact that all 100 male beds and 11 female beds at the hospital were full. File picture: Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin
A Circuit Court judge sent a man — who has spent over eight months in prison — to the Central Mental Hospital (CMH) on Thursday in a case where he allegedly stripped naked and went on a rampage of criminal damage to cars and properties in Mallow.
Judge Helen Boyle said the prosecution and defence were both of the view that an order should be made again to have 58-year-old Patrick Sibanyoni of Dundanion Lodge, Blackrock, Cork, sent to the CMH for treatment because his psychiatric condition is deteriorating in prison.
Defence senior counsel Donal O’Sullivan said different options had been explored in the past week because the place was not available for the accused in the CMH but that a legal basis could not be found for any other option. Prosecution barrister Imelda Kelly said the prosecution agreed with that view.
Dr Brenda Wright told Cork Circuit Criminal Court that the reason that the hospital was unable to accept Patrick Sibanyoni, was due to the fact that all 100 male beds and 11 female beds at the hospital were full.
She told Judge Helen Boyle that in addition to being at full capacity, the hospital had a waiting list of another 38 people waiting admission, including eight in homicide cases who were deemed not fit to plead due to their mental condition.
Judge Boyle said: “The reality is that if that if this man does not get treatment he will never be fit to plead.” The defendant was arrested in Mallow last May and charged with 24 counts of causing criminal damage to cars and premises in the town where it was alleged that he was involved in this escapade while completely naked on May 19, 2025.
The matter was listed for mention on March 4.





