Anti-immigration activist Derek Blighe to face trial over harassment of Garda
Derek Blighe was also reminded by the prosecution of bail conditions requiring him not to comment on the case online.
A book of evidence was served on Monday on anti-immigration activist Derek Blighe on a charge of harassing a member of An Garda Síochána.
He was also reminded by the prosecution of bail conditions requiring him not to comment on the case online.
Sergeant John Dineen said: “Mr Blighe should be reminded of his bail conditions. He is skirting quite close to online commentary, especially in relation to commentary on this case online.”
Derek Blighe was represented by solicitor Frank Buttimer at Cork District Court as Judge John King sent the case forward for trial by judge and jury at Cork Circuit Criminal Court on February 12.
It is anticipated that a date will be set later at the circuit court for a trial of the matter. Detective Sergeant Christopher Cahill served the book of evidence on the defendant.
The detective testified previously at Cork District Court that 45-year-old Derek Blighe was allegedly involved in a campaign of harassment of a named garda. The charge against Derek Blighe of Curraghavoe, Mitchelstown, County Cork, states: “On dates between February 22, 2023, and December 4, 2023, he harassed (the garda) contrary to Section 10 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.”
“It is alleged that over a 10-month period from February to December 2023 the accused engaged in a campaign of harassment against a member of An Garda Síochána. This member was on duty at a public event in October 2022.
“It is alleged that the accused went on to post videos of himself talking about this injured party in April, August and December 2023. In one post he commented about the injured party, ‘He is terrified now and afraid to leave his home.’
“The injured party was distressed. It had a negative effect on himself and his family,” Det. Sgt. Cahill said.

A co-accused — anti-immigration activist Ross Lahive — was also served with a book of evidence in the same case on Monday and was similarly sent forward to Cork Circuit Criminal Court for trial. He was represented by solicitor Diarmuid Kelleher.
46-year-old Ross Lahive of Church Street, Shandon Street, Cork, also faces a charge which states: “On dates between October 9, 2022, and February 6, 2025, he harassed (the garda) contrary to Section 10 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.”




