Man charged with Cork Airport arson causing over €100,000 in vehicle damage

A 32-year-old man has been charged with arson after three vehicles were set on fire at Cork Airport Business Park.
Man charged with Cork Airport arson causing over €100,000 in vehicle damage

Accused was charged with carrying out the arson attacks after 1am on Tuesday, June 10. Picture: Denis Minihane

More than €100,000 worth of damage was caused by arson to one vehicle and further damage to two others parked in Cork Airport Business Park and on Wednesday a 32-year-old man working in the area was refused bail on the charges.

Detective Sergeant Pat Lyons arrested and charged Mateusz Stula, of Orchard Court, Blackpool, Cork, with carrying out the arson attacks after 1am on Tuesday, June 10.

The detective objected to bail because of the seriousness of the charges and the strength of the evidence.

“The charges before the court are very serious. Mateusz Stula is charged with three counts of arson. It is alleged that on June 10 at approximately 1.15am he entered the grounds of Cork Airport Business Park where he set fire to three vehicles parked there.

“One of these vehicles was a Swissport Airline waste removal tanker, which has an approximate value of €100,000.

“A second vehicle was privately owned and had been parked at the business park while the owner was abroad.

“A third vehicle was a privately owned animal transporter truck which had been dropped to the business park for repairs.

“Owing to the significant monetary value of the property, this case will most likely proceed on indictment, where the likely sentence on conviction could be up to 10 years imprisonment.

“The incidents of arson in this instance have been captured on CCTV footage,” Det Sgt Lyons said.

Eddie Burke, solicitor, said the accused was on prescribed medication, but mixing alcohol with this was problematic. He said the accused had been in employment for the past two months at a premises in Cork Airport Business Park and the incident before the court was not a matter of him going to the airport in order to carry out this damage.

“For whatever reason, he left his place of work and went to where these vehicles were.

“He had made great strides but unfortunately this is now before the courts. He is asking to be released on bail on strict conditions so that he could get help with his drink difficulties, and in particular to go to Bruree treatment centre,” Mr Burke said.

Judge Mary Dorgan said: “Matters before the court are extremely serious. The value of the damage was very high.” 

The accused was remanded in custody until June 18.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited