Endometriosis: Search continues for key staff for Cork regional centre
John R Higgins and Mairead OâRiordan of CUMH with health minister Jennifer Carroll MacNeill at the official opening of the supra regional endometriosis centre in Cork last year. Dr OâRiordan said of the recruitment issues: 'Many of the roles require highly specialised skill sets, which can make the recruitment process more time-intensive'. File picture: Gerard McCarthy
Recruitment for the regional endometriosis centre in Cork is challenged by the need for âhighly specialised skill setsâ, the HSE has said, as calls grow for hiring to ramp up.
Although three senior specialists started this year, the search to fill key roles continues. A locum consultant colorectal surgeon is now onsite, as is a clinical physiotherapist and a senior physiotherapist.
The centre at Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH) is also looking for a histopathologist, a gastroenterologist, and a radiologist. It can share services with Cork University Hospital (CUH) in the meantime.
Figures shared by CUMH clinical director Mairead OâRiordan show the centre saw 1,514 patients last year. This includes repeat appointments and new patients.
Read More
Dr OâRiordan said: âWe are satisfied that recruitment is progressing within a reasonable timeframe, and efforts are ongoing to fill all remaining posts. Many of the roles require highly specialised skill sets, which can make the recruitment process more time-intensive.â
The data was released to Labour senator Laura Harmon.
âItâs vital that the endometriosis hub in Cork is adequately staffed so that women can get the care that they need on time,â Ms Harmon said.
âWe need a clear timeline on when this will be staffed. And we need to see awareness campaigns rolled out across the country on endometriosis and the care available.â
Meanwhile, concerns remain about the new endometriosis surgery abroad interim scheme (ESAIS).
Only 10 women were approved in its first three months, the HSE said in January.Â
One 42-year-old from the Midlands applied on December 11, almost two months after the scheme was announced.
She has been on a public waiting list since December 2024 to see a gynaecologist with a special interest in endometriosis. In frustration, she saw this doctor privately in November.
âThe gynaecologist stated that, as my case was complex, it would be at least a 10-month wait for a multidisciplinary team to review my case in Ireland, and I was asked if Iâd ever thought about surgery abroad,â she said.
The consultant supported her application despite her not being on a surgical waiting list as required.
âThey approved it under an exceptional measure. This was absolutely brilliant,â the patient said.Â
Despite emails confirming this information since approval was given on December 12, an official letter on January 23 did not include online costs.Â
She was also shocked a few days later to learn the HSE is âawaiting completion of forms from the hospital in question to set them up for direct paymentâ.
âWe hope this process will be completed in time for your MRI appointment,â it said.
The MRI was booked for February 9. This left her so worried that she wrote to health minister Jennifer Carroll MacNeill.
On January 30, the ESAIS emailed saying direct payments would be in place on time.
The woman was hugely relieved but remains uneasy. She said:Â
A HSE spokeswoman said: "It is recognised that it will take time for the framework of the ESAIS to be fully resourced and implemented.Â
"The HSE is working to develop collaborative relationships with several endometriosis services abroad."
She added: "The HSE actively engaging with several services of expertise to develop these relationships, which include payment arrangements."
- Niamh Griffin, Health CorrespondentÂ




