Surge in number of Ukrainians arriving in Ireland in last week
The increase in numbers will intensify pressure on government to continue to find accommodation for those fleeing the war.
There has been a surge in the number of Ukrainians arriving in Ireland in recent days ahead of the State’s impending new 90 day accommodation rule.
Fresh figures reveal for the seven days to the end of January 28, there were 628 Ukrainians offered temporary protection. This compares to 390 for the previous week.
The increase in numbers will intensify pressure on the Government to continue to find accommodation for those fleeing the war. The figures do not specify if Ukrainians who have arrived in Ireland in recent days are coming directly from Ukraine or another EU country.
It is expected the new rules which will see newly arrived Ukrainians offered 90 days in State accommodation before they have to find their own place to live as well as a cut to social welfare from €232 to €38.80 will come into force in early February.
The plan was to stem the flow of the number of secondary movements from Ukrainians who are in other EU countries.
When asked at the time if the new rules would see a spike in Ukrainians travelling to Ireland, Integration Minister Roderic O’Gorman said previous discussion of the new rules didn’t increase but he couldn’t make a prediction.
However, it appears now the impending new rules have led to a surge in the number of Ukrainians coming to Ireland before they take effect.
It comes after Integration Minister Roderic O’Gorman told the most recent Cabinet sub-committee on Ukraine that his department intends to pause the offers portal for future commercial offers given “sufficient vacancies” trends in arrivals and departures and change in government policy.
He told the meeting departures from accommodation for Ukrainians are increasing and were at 47 per day on average earlier this month. Reasons for departure included seeking independent accommodation, returning to Ukraine and travelling elsewhere.
However, those plans may be shelved given the recent spike in new arrivals in the past 7 days.
The increase in Ukrainians is on top of the 1,700 international protection applicants (IPAs) that have arrived into the country in recent weeks.
Updated figures from the Department of Integration today also show 758 asylum seekers have not been offered State accommodation.
Justice Minister Helen McEntee added Algeria and Botswana to Ireland's list of "safe countries". It means that applicants for IPAs from those two nations will have their cases decided within a maximum of 90 days.
However, they have a right to appeal the decision and Ms McEntee said those on the safe list should have their appeal heard and a further decision made within five months.
From tomorrow, Botswana and Algeria will be designated safe countries of origin to claim international protection in the state.
The existing list of safe countries includes Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and South Africa.
The addition of Algeria, specifically, is seen as significant as it accounts for over 3,100 of those seeking international protection in Ireland. According to the most recent figures, Botswana accounts for 746.
It comes as the Government is "sounding out" whether charter flights can be used in order to remove those who have failed in asylum applications.
A tender posted on Tuesday says that the Office of Government Procurement, on behalf of the Department of Justice, "wishes to take soundings from the market as to its capacity to provide Charter Flights and Associated Support Services for the purpose of Removal Operations".
The tender does not set out a cost.



