Enoch Burke departs school after arriving on second day since being dismissed

Enoch Burke departs school after arriving on second day since being dismissed

Enoch Burke arriving at Wilson's Hospital School in Westmeath on Wednesday morning. Picture: Sally Gorman

Enoch Burke showed up to Wilson's Hospital School in Westmeath for a second day, despite being removed from his post last week pending an appeal.

For the second day in a row, Mr Burke was driven to the school by his father who dropped him off at 8.45am.

He was met outside the front door of the school but did not enter the building.

Mr Burke stood outside the main door while his father parked a short distance up the road from the school.

The school finished at 1.08pm and shortly after the school bell rang, Mr Burke could be seen making a phone call. Moments later, his father drove onto the premises and picked him up. The pair then left the school grounds.

Mr Burke did not address the media.


The evangelical Christian was suspended from work on full pay last year pending the outcome of a disciplinary process, after a number of incidents stemming from a request from the secondary school’s principal.

The disciplinary hearing arose from allegations about Mr Burke's behaviour towards the former school principal, Niamh McShane, at a function last June when the teacher is alleged to have openly and publicly voiced his opposition to transgenderism.

Mr Burke voiced on several occasions his opposition to the principal’s request to address a transgender child by their name and refer to them by the pronoun, “they”.

Subsequent events led to his suspension from his job at Wilson’s Hospital School.

A formal disciplinary hearing was held last week; a family member of Mr Burke issued a statement on his behalf on Friday, saying he had been dismissed.

Mr Burke has rejected his dismissal, asserting that he has a right to work and that he had been “wrongfully” arrested for trespass on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Mr Burke was arrested by gardaí under the Public Order Act. 

He was brought to Mullingar Garda Station and later released without charge around 2pm, when he returned to the school. 

He eventually entered school property before ultimately leaving around 4pm, at the end of the school day. 

Gardaí have said a file would be sent to the DPP. There was no garda presence at the school today.

Mr Burke was previously jailed after failing to observe a court injunction banning him from attending the school while he was suspended from work.

More in this section

Text header

From florist to fraudster, leaving a trail of destruction from North Cork, to Waterford, to Clare, to Wexford and through the midlands ... learn how mistress of re-invention, Catherine O'Brien, scammed her way around rural Ireland.

Execution Time: 0.219 s