Collins family describe 'hateful poison' of Roy's murderers

The family of Roy Collins, who was murdered in Limerick in 2009, have said that his murderers have "infected" their lives and "destroyed everything" they held dear.

The family of Roy Collins, who was murdered in Limerick in 2009, have said that his murderers have "infected" their lives and "destroyed everything" they held dear.

Wayne Dundon and Nathan Killeen were found guilty today in their non-jury trial of murdering Roy Collins in Limerick in 2009.

Roy Collins was killed by a single shot to the chest fired by a gunman who entered the Coincastle amusements at around midday on April 9, 2009.

Wayne Dundon (aged 36) of Lenihan Avenue and his co-accused Nathan Killeen (aged 24) of Hyde Road, both in Prospect, denied any part in the killing at the Roxboro Shopping Centre on April 9, 2009.

The non-jury court heard during the 29-day trial that Roy Collins was at work around noon that day when a gunman entered his amusement arcade and discharged a single shot, hitting him in the chest. He was conscious for a time, but his life could not be saved.

The court was satisfied with the prosecution case that Wayne Dundon directed the murder from prison, Nathan Killeen was the getaway driver and another man, James Dillon, was the gunman.

Steve Collins, Roy's father, has described Roy's killers as "cowardly evil men devoid of any semblance of mercy and humanity".

He broke down in tears as he told the court in a victim impact statement that his son paid the ultimate price for standing up to the wrath of these people.

He said: "It has been exactly 1,833 days since these people infected our lives with their hateful poison and destroyed everything that we held dear in life.

"Every moment, of every hour of every day that has passed since that awful day we are numb with grief.

"Our sense of loss and sadness is so profound that it is impossible to find words to describe it."

"The pain that weighs so heavily on our hearts is a constant reminder of the loss that we will never get over."

"When these people killed our son our hopes and aspirations died with him, We too have been handed a life sentence."

"When these evil men brutally ended our Roy’s life he had a happy and successful future ahead of him. He had a good business and was finishing the dream home he built himself.

"He was also a loving and wonderful father. Roy doted on his two little girls, Shannon and Charlie, whose little hearts were broken beyond repair when he was taken from them.

"They still can not understand why their daddy is not with them. As a grandparent it breaks my heart to see the effect this tragedy has had on them.

"These innocent babies should never have experienced such evil – they will go through their lives without the support of their wonderful dad."

During the trial, Steve Collins told the court that in April 2009 he was running The Steering Wheel pub and his son Roy was operating the Coin Castle Amusement Arcade. He said he had been running the pub for 22 years, while Roy had been running the amusement arcade for about five years.

He said he left for work at 7.40am with an armed escort as he had every day. His son Roy popped in for a chat around 11am and then left to open up the amusement arcade.

Mr Collins said that around noon one of his barmen told him there was "a fellow bleeding next door".

He ran next door to the arcade and saw his son crouched on his knees holding himself. Roy said: "I'm after being shot Dad," and when he asked him did he see who shot him, his son replied: "No."

Mr Collins said he did his best to comfort his son and his son told him how much he loved him and his mother. Then the gardaí and an ambulance arrived and Roy was taken to hospital.

More in this section