A man shot dead in a suspected tit-for-tat gangland shooting had survived two attempts on his life in recent months, it emerged today.
The 41-year-old, who was gunned down outside his daughter’s house in Finglas, north Dublin last night, was seriously injured in a similar attack in November.
It is understood he was also shot at earlier this week as part of a ongoing feud between rival gangs in the area.
The latest hit, in Kippure Park at 11.20pm, is the second in the area this week and the seventh gangland killing this year.
A man in his 20s remains in hospital after he was shot in the arm in nearby Berryfield Drive on Monday night.
Tit-for-tat killings have escalated in the north Dublin suburb since the murder of slain crime boss Martin ’Marlo’ Hyland in December 2006.
Local Labour TD Roisin Shortall said more gardai are needed to target gangs in the area.
“The law-abiding people in the area are shocked and appalled by these attacks, and could be forgiven for feeling that their policing needs are not being met,” said Ms Shortall.
Detectives were investigating whether the latest killing may be revenge for the murder of gangland figure Graham McNally – also from Finglas – in January.
The 35-year-old was shot dead and his body dumped at the side of the road in nearby Ashbourne. Detectives suspected McNally had been set-up by his gang boss.
Last August convicted armed robber and drug dealer, Paul ’Farmer’ Martin, was shot dead as he sat drinking in the Jolly Toper pub. The 39-year-old was an associate of crime boss Hyland.
And a month earlier 33-year-old Trevor Walsh was murdered in the garden of a house in Finglas the day after he was released from jail.
It also emerged the latest victim was the target of a gun attack last November when he was hit in the shoulder and the stomach as he sat in a car with his partner outside his home in Cardiff Bridge Road, Finglas.
He fled and escaped through the rear of a nearby house.
Meanwhile, Kippure Park in Finglas remains cordoned off as gardai forensically examine the scene.