The 100th birthday of a Dublin school founded by Easter Rising rebel Padraic Pearse will be commemorated in two new stamps.
St Enda’s School or Scoil Eanna was established by Pearse in September 1908 after he studied bilingual education in Belgium.
It was first located in Cullenswood House in Ranelagh but moved two years later to the Hermitage in Rathfarnham which how houses the Pearse Museum.
Pearse was attracted to the Hermitage as his hero Robert Emmet had courted his love Sarah Curran in the grounds more than a century before.
Many classes in St Enda’s secondary school were taught in Irish and there was a strong teaching emphasis on arts and drama.
An Post will issue the two stamps, of Cullenswood House and the Hermitage, in September.
Communications Minister Eamon Ryan and local TDs had campaigned for the second stamp of Cullenswood House to be issued.
After Pearse’s execution for his role in the 1916 Easter Rising, St Enda’s was reopened at Cullenswood House before returning to the Hermitage in 1919.
However St Enda’s was dogged by financial problems and eventually closed its doors for good in 1935.