Report on Carthy killing due before end of year

The report into the fatal shooting by gardaí of John Carthy in 2000 is set to be published before the end of the year.

The report into the fatal shooting by gardaí of John Carthy in 2000 is set to be published before the end of the year.

The Barr Tribunal was originally due to be publish its final report in June and then the date was pushed back to September due to the workload.

Tribunal spokesman Killian Morgan said it was now hoped that the report would be published before the end of the year.

“We don’t have a definite date yet. They’re just continuing to work on it. It’s a very detailed report,” he said.

After hearing closing submissions on December 7 last year, Mr Justice Robert Barr said he hoped to deliver his report to the Oireachtas within six months.

The delay in publishing the report was raised by Opposition leader Enda Kenny during the Order of Business in the Dail yesterday.

“It has been promised on a number of occasions, first June, then September,” he said.

Tanaiste Mary Harney confirmed in her reply that the Government had not yet received the report.

The Barr Tribunal was established in 2003 to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of Mr Carthy outside his home in Abbeylara, Co Longford, in April 2000.

The 27-year-old, who had manic depression, was shot four times from behind, by two members of the Garda Emergency Response Unit as he walked in the direction of Abbeylara village carrying a shotgun loaded with a single cartridge.

His death followed a 25-hour armed stand-off with gardaí during which Mr Carthy fired several shots from the window of his house.

Mr Justice Robert Barr heard evidence from 169 witnesses during 208 separate sittings.

More in this section