Jason Aherne got so drunk when he stayed up until the early hours to watch a Conor McGregor fight that he ended up leaving his home carrying a machete.
Judge Seán Ó Donnabháin wondered if he could ban the man with the machete from watching McGregor fights, as it seemed to over-excite him.
Jason Aherne, aged 28, of 6 Bridevalley Park, Fairhill, Cork, was appealing a four-month jail sentence at Cork Circuit Appeals Court yesterday.
Sergeant John Dwyer said Aherne was seen at 10am on December 13, 2015.
“He was staggering from side to side on the footpath carring a large machete. He threw it on to a nearby green area as the gardaí approached,” said Sgt Dwyer.
“He had no recollection of the incident when spoken to by gardaí about it later.
“He had no recollection of having the knife or being arrested.”
Judge Ó Donnabháin asked: “Is this person McGregor likely to be fighting again between now and the summer?”
Frank Nyhan, state solicitor, said he had just been informed by a colleague that the Mixed Martial Arts fighter had decided to take paternity leave and would not be fighting again until September 2017.
At Cork District Court, Aherne was sentenced to four months in prison.
Paula McCarthy, defending, appealed the severity of the sentence yesterday and said that while the appellant carried the machete on the morning, he did not produce it to anyone.
Ms McCarthy said it was not offered as an excuse but he was extremely intoxicated at the time which was put forward as a partial explanation of his behaviour on the morning.
It had been submitted at the district court that the man was suffering from episodes at the time and thought there was someone outside his front door when in fact there was nobody there.
Aherne pleaded guilty to carrying the machete on the day.
Judge Ó Donnabháin agreed to suspend the sentence on condition that the accused would keep the peace for the next 12 months.
Conor McGregor fought Jose Aldo on the night, famously knocking him out cold in 13 seconds.