Dead man had taken methadone, inquest told

The son of property developer Gerry Gannon was found dead in his living room, having taken methadone, an inquest heard.

Peter Gannon, 31, was found lying on the couch by his uncle at the home they shared at Park Avenue in Clongriffin, Dublin, late on July 6 last year.

Dublin Coroner’s Court heard Mr Gannon had methadone in his system when he died, as well as therapeutic levels of prescribed anti-depressants. The autopsy also revealed that he was suffering from undiagnosed, severe heart disease, which coroner Brian Farrell said may have been a contributing factor in his death.

He was found by his uncle, Stephen McDermott, who told the coroner that when he left the house to go down the country at 7.30pm the previous night, Mr Gannon was having dinner and was “in great form” and “joking”, he said.

Dr Farrell said that, at autopsy, a “significant amount of methadone” was found in Mr Gannon’s system as well as therapeutic levels of his prescription medications. The family said they were “shocked” at the presence of methadone.

Dr Farrell told the family that pathologist Muna Sabah also found near complete narrowing of one of the major arteries in Mr Gannon’s heart. This could have been a contributory factor, he said.

Dr Farrell gave the cause of death as acute cardio-respiratory failure due to the toxic effects of methadone and Mr Gannon’s medications, with severe coronary artery narrowing and heart enlargement.

He said he was satisfied there were no suspicious circumstances and no evidence of deliberate self-harm. He returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence