Accused: ‘I had no time to stop murder’

The Romanian man accused of murdering an Englishman in Bandon in 2011 said there was no time for him to stop the Cork woman who has admitted killing him.

The comments by Ciprian Grozavu, aged 39, of Bridge House, Sean Hales Place, Bandon, Co Cork, were included in the memo of his interview with gardaí, which was read to Mr Justice Paul Carney and the jury of six men and six women at the Central Criminal Court in Cork yesterday.

Mr Grozavvu denies murdering John Forrester, aged 42, at Bridge House on November 12, 2011. His trial continues today.

“I had no part in their fight and in their conflict, there was no time to stop her, I could not stop her,” Mr Grozavu told gardaí.

Gardaí put it to him that, by his own account, Catherine O’Connor attacked Mr Forrester when he declared his love for her. One of the detectives suggested: “John is saying he loves the woman you are sleeping with and getting closer and closer to. There has to be some conflict there so you got involved in the assault that resulted in his death?”

Mr Grozavu replied: “I am sick of your speculations and lies, they are complete lies, they are not even speculations. I would answer to speculations, but these are pure lies.”

Later, he said: “She hit him with a cup. There was a very deep cut somewhere on the right side off his neck. There was coming a lot of blood out of that.”

Gardaí asked him why he did not shout at Catherine O’Connor — who has pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Forrester — to stop. He replied: “I did tell her a few times to stop, there was no point. I told her two or three times to stop as well.”

He added that it was too late to stop her by the time he realised what was going on. Mr Grozavu said he left the room at one stage.

Gardaí suggested that, at this moment when he left the room, he had a chance to get help but that instead he went back into the room. He claimed that, by the time he got back into the room, the body of Mr Forrester was tied with cable. He said he was convinced Mr Forrester was dead at this time.

Mr Grozavu agreed with the Garda description of it being madness for him to have helped O’Connor to drag the body from the flat, drop it down to the river bank, and throw the deceased into the river.

The accused said the reason he left the room after witnessing O’Connor attacking Mr Forrest was to call gardaí, but he never did call them.

The jury of six men and six women was previously told O’Connor had admitted to the murder. Mr Grozavu told gardaí repeatedly that she did it alone.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence