Man faces murder charge after burnt remains found in Phoenix Park

A 27-year-old man made no reply when he was charged with the murder of a man whose burned remains were found in the Phoenix Park.

Man faces murder charge after burnt remains found in Phoenix Park

The deceased, Gerard Donnelly, who is believed to have been from Tallaght in Dublin, had been sleeping rough in the park and his remains were discovered last Friday when gardaí spotted a fire near the Wellington Monument.

Mr Donnelly, who was in his 30s, had also suffered a fractured skull and was identified by gardaí through dental records and DNA samples.

Yesterday, Ciaran Moran, with an address at Camden Hall, Camden Street, Dublin, appeared in court charged with the murder of Mr Donnelly at Wellington Road, in the Phoenix Park, on or about Nov 29 last.

Mr Moran, who had a bruised eye and cuts to the top of his head, was wearing a grey sweater, black tracksuit and white runners, and remained silent during his brief hearing at Dublin District Court.

Detective Sergeant Thomas Lynch told Judge Ann Ryan that Mr Moran had been detained under Section Four

of the Criminal Justice Act following consultation with the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

At 10.30pm on Monday, the DPP issued a direction to charge Mr Moran “with the offence of murder”.

The charge was put to Mr Moran at Cabra Garda Station at 11.55pm and “he made no reply after caution”.

Due to the nature of the charge, a bail application can only be made at the High Court.

Judge Ryan consented to Det Sgt Lynch’s application to remand Mr Moran in custody to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on Dec 10.

Defence solicitor Andrew Vallely furnished the court with a statement of Mr Moran’s means and Judge Ryan noted that there was no objection to legal aid being granted to the 27-year-old accused.

She also agreed to Mr Vallely’s request for continued medical attention to be given to Mr Moran during his remand in prison.

A second man in his 20s arrested as part of the investigation was released without charge from Finglas Garda Station yesterday and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

A 17-year-old girl, who was arrested on Monday night was questioned at Blanchardstown Garda Station and was due to be released or charged last night.

More in this section