Kidnapping victim could not drive over fear for family

A Securicor cash van driver whose family were held by an armed gang during a Tiger kidnapping six years ago told a trial that he could not drive at one point because he was crying so much.

Kidnapping victim could not drive over fear for family

Paul Richardson said one raider told him “if I fucked up in any way, he wouldn’t be responsible for my family”.

Jason Kavanagh, aged 39, of Corduff Avenue, Blanchardstown; Christopher Corcoran, aged 66, of Bayside Boulevard North, Sutton; Mark Farrelly, aged 42, of Moatview Court, Priorswood, Coolock; and Alan Costello, aged 50, of Cromcastle Rd, Coolock, are accused of being part of the armed gang.

The four pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to falsely imprisoning Paul, Marie, Ian, and Kevin Richardson on Mar 13, 2005. The four accused also denied the robbery of €2.28m in cash from Paul Richardson and Securicor Security Services Ireland Ltd on Mar 14, 2005.

Ms Richardson told Seamus Clarke BL, prosecuting, that when she opened her door that night, a man grabbed her in a headlock. She said she tried to scream and saw other men go into the living room.

They took a machine gun and handgun out of a box and searched the house. She said her husband arrived home with their older son, Ian, a little later.

The raiders later took a Polaroid photograph of the family flanked by the two armed men, she said.

They then drove her and her sons to the Dublin mountains, where they were held overnight.

She said that, at around 2.30am, the front seat passenger in the 4x4 gave her a mobile phone and she spoke to her husband for about two minutes.

The driver told her that after they got a phonecall they would tie her and her sons up and leave them. She said the passenger called the driver “Alan”.

She said the next morning, the gang members tied her and her sons up.

Mr Richardson told Dominic McGinn SC, prosecuting, that the raiders held him at the home until the next morning, when he was told to go to work.

He said he was told to load the van with cash for ATMs as normal and then drive the van to a car park at the Angler’s Rest pub west of the capital and leave the cash there.

The raiders told him to then drive out along the N4 motorway and they would contact him to let him know his family was safe and free.

Mr Richardson told Mr McGinn he complied with all the gang’s instructions for the sake of his family but this call never came.

He said he was very upset, adding: “I was driving very slowly. I could hardly see the road because of the tears in my eyes.”

The trial continues.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence