Hotel pulls out of hosting child beauty pageant
Texas-based Universal Royalty Beauty Pageant announced earlier this week via Facebook that a Cork hotel would host the glitzy €20,000 beauty contest in September.
But pageant chiefs admitted yesterday they had been forced to source another venue in Dublin, after the Cork hotelier pulled the plug on the event.
Universal Royalty boss Annette Hill said that sourcing a venue for the controversial pageant has proved a major headache and admitted that 28 hotels across Ireland had to date snubbed her offer to host a show.
But she insisted the beauty contest, which will be open to “babies, toddlers and teens”, will take place as previously announced on September 21, but at another undisclosed venue in Dublin.
She said: “We had booked a hotel in Cork a few months ago, but they’ve now told me that they can no longer host us because they’re overbooked, which seems a bit strange.
“I think the hotel doesn’t want to be involved in any media craziness around the show and they may be worried that any bad publicity would ruin their business.
“We’ve found a lot of hotels in Ireland have been scared of a backlash from the media and we’ve now approached 28 different hotels to find a venue.
“But I’ve secured a hotel in Dublin and have another one lined up just in case. The show will definitely be going ahead.”
Ms Hill also claimed she had received up to 4,000 emails from Irish parents, who have expressed an interest in entering their children in the pageant since she first announced the show’s date last month.
She added that US pageant star, eight-year-old Eden Wood, is still on course to feature in the show.




