Accused put man’s corpse into a plastic bag, says detective

The brother of a man accused of murdering 53-year-old Christopher Jackson, who was stabbed to death at his home in Dublin last week, has been charged with covering up the crime.

Mr Jackson’s body was found last Saturday in his flat at 82 Prussia St, Dublin. His corpse had been concealed in a plastic bag in a wardrobe for about two days.

On Monday, his neighbour Bernard Locke was remanded in custody by Dublin District Court after he was charged with murdering Mr Jackson on or about Sept 7. He had stated “no response” after he was charged and will appear again at Cloverhill District Court tomorrow.

Yesterday, his younger brother Anthony Locke, aged 35, who is of no fixed abode, was brought before Dublin District Court charged under Section 7.2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1997.

The charge brought against him alleges that on or about Sept 7 at 82 Prussia St, he knew that another person had committed a murder and that he acted with intent to impede the apprehension or prosecution of that individual.

Det Garda Denis Ellard told Judge Patricia McNamara that Anthony Locke replied “I am not guilty” when he was charged at Mountjoy Garda Station on Monday night.

Dressed in black tracksuit bottoms and a black and yellow hooded top, Mr Locke sat back on the defendant's bench and remained silent with his arms folded as the court heard there was an objection to him being released on bail.

Det Garda Ellard told Judge McNamara that this was based on the seriousness of the charges and concerns that Mr Locke would not turn up for his trial.

Det Gda Ellard told the court that Mr Jackson had been stabbed to death and a man had already been charged with his murder. He said it was alleged that Anthony Locke “cleaned the scene where this murder occurred and subsequently concealed the body of Mr Jackson”.

He said this was done by placing the body in a plastic bag and putting it in a wardrobe.

The investigation was still “active” and gardaí were pursuing a “number of avenues”, he told the court, adding that a more serious charge could be brought against Anthony Locke.

The detective said the defendant was of no fixed abode and was considered a “flight risk”, and has stated that “he wishes to leave the country as a result of this incident”.

Det Garda Ellard also said there were concerns there would be interference with witnesses, some of whom were described as “close relations”.

Solicitor Michael Hanahoe, defending, told Judge McNamara that if bail were granted, Mr Locke would sign on at a designated Garda station on a daily basis.

The judge refused bail and remanded Mr Locke, who was granted legal aid, in custody to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on Sept 18.

A woman in her 40s, who had been questioned by gardaí in connection with the investigation, was released without charge on Monday afternoon and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

More in this section