A deluge between 9pm and 11pm last night left locals fearing a repeat of the June 28 storms, which saw homes washed out and businesses destroyed by floods in the towns and parts of Cork City.
Reports from Clonakilty and Rathbarry said some businesses and homes damaged in June had been flooded for the second time this summer.
Sinn Féin Clonakilty mayor, Cionnaith Ó Súilleabháin, and local Fine Gael councillor John O’Sullivan said at one stage some backroads had turned into “rivers” and were impassable.
At Clonakilty’s Kent Street, Rossa Street and Western Road flood waters rose more than a foot in places.
Ballymacowen Cross also saw significant rainfall, as did Rathbarry, a Tidy Town winner which saw an access road washed away in June.
Flood prevention teams in Clonakilty said the drainage system appeared unable to cope with the sudden deluge of rain, which stopped at 11pm. The rain water then quickly drained away.
Red Cross volunteers were on hand, and on stand-by in Kanturk, Mallow and Kinsale.
* Read more:
Council launches weather alert system