Cork was central to the June 1985 Air India flight, bombed on route from Montreal to Mumbai. Some 329 people died.
In the past decade, more than 20 lives have been lost in aircraft incidents in this country.
* In August 2002, David Reid, 42, died when the helicopter he was piloting crashed into a mountain near Dingle.
* Shane O’Reilly, 33, a hang glider from Dublin, died in June 2003, nine days after crashing during a competition near Courtown, Co Wexford.
* A helicopter crash near Derrybrien, Co Galway, in July 2005 claimed the lives of two men.
* Two Belgian men died in a single-engine plane crash near Oranmore, Co Galway, two months later.
* A Cessna plane that got into difficulty in May 2006 crashed near Raharney, Co Westmeath, claiming the lives of Dublin men Liam Ryan and Joseph McCabe, both 38.
* In August of that year, pilot Martin Mulhall, 71, died when his aircraft nosedived into a landing strip at Kilkenny Airfield.
* In July 2007 a pilot and a passenger of a Cessna plane crashed when trying to land at Connemara Airport in Co Galway.
* A week later, Frederick Balcombe, 69, from Townsparks, Skerries, Co Dublin, died when he was in a helicopter that crashed in a field at Ballnacally, Co Clare.
* Later that month, pilot John Keane, 57, from Co Clare was killed when an aircraft he had been flying in an air display crashed near Ardfert, Co Kerry.
* In May 2008, pilot Markus Casey, 51, from Galway died when his plane crashed into a field at Kilmovee, Co Mayo.
* A couple from Bristol, their teenage son and his friend were killed when their plane crashed in the Wicklow mountains in October 2008.
* In April 2009, flight instructor Colm Clancy from Donegal and his student Dermot Sheridan from Co Limerick died when the helicopter crashed in the Bog of Allen in Co Kildare.
* Two Air Corps personnel lost their lives when their aircraft crashed in Connemara in October 2009. Captain Derek Furniss and Cadet David Jevens were buried with military honours.
* Retired anaesthetist Dr Michael Slazenger and his passenger Noel Whitney died last April when the aircraft piloted by Dr Slazenger crashed at his Powerscourt estate in Co Wicklow.