First 15 deliveries christen hospital facilities

WITHIN 24 hours of its opening, 15 babies had been born at the country’s newest maternity hospital.

Reflecting Ireland’s multicultural society, the first baby born at the €75 million Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH) was to Polish parents. The last babies born in St Finbarr’s Maternity Unit and the Erinville Maternity Hospital were to French and Germany parents respectively.

In the Bon Secours Maternity Hospital, the last baby born was Irish.

Kacper Poslada entered the history books when he became the first baby born at CUMH at 10.20pm on Saturday, more than seven hours after the hospital officially opened for business, and weighing 3.03kgs.

He was born to Luiza and Miciej Poslada of Kenmare, Co Kerry.

Dylan Brahim was the last baby born at St Finbarr’s, at 4.04pm on Saturday, weighing 3.18kgs, to French parents Marguerite and Laurent. His parents and sister Lauren live in Glanmire, Cork. Following the transfer of mother and baby to CUMH, mum Marguerite said she was glad to have given birth to her new baby in St Finbarr’s because it was where her daughter was born. “But I do think the new hospital is lovely,” she added.

The last baby born in the Erinville was Theodor Germuth, to German parents Phenporn and Frank, who live in Bantry, West Cork. Theodor was born at 4.50pm and weighed 2.62kgs.

Flying the flag for the Irish was Siún Dolan, the last baby born in the Bons, at 1.56pm on Saturday. Weighing 3.52kgs and topping all of the boys, she is the new baby daughter of Ruth and Patrick Dolan from Douglas, Cork city.

Yesterday, a spokesperson for the Health Service Executive (HSE) South said the new hospital had not experienced any major teething problems. “It’s going great, it’s lovely to see it operating and so busy,” she said.

The hospital opened a week behind schedule because of a row over staffing between the HSE and midwives due to transfer to the new facility. The Irish Nurses Organisation (INO), the union representing the midwives, insisted the hospital should not open with less than 375 midwives, the figure recommended as safe by an international midwifery expert. However compromise was reached just in time for the re-scheduled opening on Saturday when the HSE gave a series of guarantees on staffing levels.

Barry O’Brien, assistant director of HSE South human resources, said the union had accepted late on Friday night that the figure of 375 would be reached on a phased basis.

“We were able to set out our recruitment plan that will see 27 new midwives joining us in April, 16 in May and 10 in June, and taking into account the new graduates (32) coming out in September.

“We again reassured the union that the hospital will open on a phased basis, starting with 128 out of 144 beds. There will also be a high-level review in eight weeks which will assess progress made on staffing to date,” Mr O’Brien said.

Nurses were not offered any money to undertake the transfer.

More in this section