Country music singer Michael English reveals he had a heart attack last week

Michael English was on his way to perform at a concert in Waterford when he passed out in his car
Country music singer Michael English reveals he had a heart attack last week

Michael English, who had a heart attack at 46

Country music singer Michael English has revealed he suffered a heart attack last week.

The 46-year-old, who said he would consider himself to be in good shape, was on his way to per­form at a con­cert in Water­ford when he passed out in his car.

A short time earlier, Eng­lish had been driv­ing the vehicle but after stop­ping at a gar­age to refuel, he asked his man­ager to drive as he was feel­ing unwell.

"It was a shock - at 46, I didn't think it would happen to me," he told the Sunday World.

"Leaving the house I didn't feel 100 per cent, I felt a bit weak or tired in myself and I'd been off for three days, which was unusual for me.

"We stopped on the journey to get diesel and at that I point I asked [manager] Bryan would he mind driving. We were about 20 minutes from Waterford and when we resumed the journey I blacked out in the passenger seat.

Michael English
Michael English

"Bryan didn't know what was happening and I can only imagine how scary it was for him. But he got me to the hospital as quick as he could."

English received medical attention at University Hospital Waterford and the Hermitage Clinic in Dublin and has since been told he can go back to work.

He said that he didn’t need surgery and that he is now on medication and will be having more cardiac tests when his heart gets a chance to recover, saying he feels great again.

"But it has been a shock to the system and a shock to everyone. I never smoked and I'm a moderate drinker. I'm in good shape and I certainly don't carry any weight.

"I'm known in the business for working a lot. I'm often described as 'the busiest act in country’, so I probably need to address that,” he said.

Last week, an update was posted to English’s social media accounts informing people that he would not be able to perform his upcoming shows on medical grounds.

“A sincere thank you to David James and band for stepping in tonight (Friday) at The Abbey Hotel, and to Jack Keogh and band for covering tomorrow night (Saturday) at the Woodford Dolmen in Carlow,” the post read.

“Michael would like to thank everyone for their kind wishes and support, and he very much looks forward to seeing you all at The Mullingar Park Hotel next weekend for his annual dancing weekend.

“Apologies to all those who had planned to come see us. See you next week.”

More in this section

Lifestyle

Newsletter

The best food, health, entertainment and lifestyle content from the Irish Examiner, direct to your inbox.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited