Melissa Sechrist, from Moore, Oklahoma, was left needing hospital treatment after being burned by spare change left baking in her car during a hot spell of weather.
The 48-year-old, suffered what she describes as "excruciating pain" last Wednesday after accidently spilling the pennies from a cup onto the seat of her car and then sitting on them.
Initially, Melissa thought she could just ice the problem, but when her burns started to blister, it was time to visit her local hospital.
Doctors there where shocked by the extent of the damage the 1c coins had caused to her leg.
News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |
The US National Weather Service said temperatures in Oklahoma rose as high as 40C on the day Melissa got burned.
"The doctor when she came in and lifted my shorts up," Sechrist told News9 in Oklahoma.
"Her eyes got real big and she kind of jumped back. She’d never seen anything like it!"
Melissa was told by doctors that she had suffered third-degree burns - the most serve burns on the medical scale - to the back of her thigh.
She has been given antibiotics in order to prevent an infection by doctors and it is hope the wounds will eventually heal.
"It was just horrible pain I’ve never felt before in my life," said Melissa.
The reason she has chosen to talk about the incident is to highlight it, so that what happened to her doesn’t happen to children.
"Everybody needs to watch for coins on their seats because it does burn. I would hate to see a child with these kind of burns on their legs."