St. Pat's move ever closer to league title

St. Patrick's Athletic came from a goal down to beat UCD 3-1 at the UCD Bowl to leave themselves within touching distance of an eighth league title and their first since 1999.

The win put St. Pat's six points clear at the top of the Premier Division table and should they beat reigning champions Sligo Rovers at Richmond Park on Sunday week, they will effectively have won the league - given their far superior goal difference - with two games to play.

College stunned St. Pat's to take a 23rd minute lead against the run of play.

Robbie Creevy picked out Robbie Benson in some space and the attacking midfielder showed admirable composure to find the bottom corner with a low left-foot shot from just outside the area.

But St. Pat's hit back with Chris Forrester leveling on 31 minutes when his shot from outside the box was fumbled into the net by UCD 'keeper Mark McGinley.

Two minutes later, Forrester surged forward from midfield to play Anto Flood in to fire St. Pat's ahead.

Jake Kelly added a fine third goal, drilling in with his right foot from 25 yards, nine minutes into the second half.

Shelbourne's survival hopes suffered a blow as they finished with ten men in losing 3-1 to Derry City at the Brandywell.

It couldn't have started much worse for Shelbourne as they were a goal down from the second minute and 2-0 behind on 13.

Rory Patterson swept home a penalty after he had been tripped in the box to give Derry the ideal start.

A mistake from Shelbourne defender Paul Andrews then gifted Michael Rafter a clear run on goal to double Derry's lead.

Dean Kelly pulled a goal back for Shelbourne on 35 minutes, cleverly lobbing home 'keeper Ger Doherty on a quick counterattack.

But Derry restored their two goal lead within a minute. Barry McNamee headed a Simon Madden centre back across goal for Rafter to score his second of the night.

Defender Brian Gannon was the first Shels player to be sent off when he was dismissed for a second booking for diving on 74 minutes.

Shels then also had midfielder Robert Bayly bizarrely shown a straight red card from the dugout on two minutes later, five minutes after he had been substituted.

More in this Section

Kompany to take up player-manager job with Anderlecht

Captain Vincent Kompany to leave Manchester City

Deontay Wilder targets Anthony Joshua after knockout win over Dominic Breazeale

Billy Joe Saunders wins WBO title with impressive points win


Peter Dowdall: What we can do every day to improve the planet

Runner of the Week: Cork City Marathon pacer Paula Wright

Meet the man on a mission to save a little-known river in Cork City

We Sell Comics: ‘It’s not all sitting around reading comics — there’s a lot of work’

More From The Irish Examiner