Israel hit by 44m cyber attacks
By Jenny Johnson
The Israeli government admitted it had become the victim of a mass cyber-warfare campaign with millions of attempts to hack state websites since the start of its Gaza offensive last week.
Speaking ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting, Israeli finance minister Yuval Steinitz said the government was now waging war on “a second front — of cyber attacks against Israel”.
Steinitz said in just four days, Israel had “deflected 44 million cyber attacks on government websites. All the attacks were thwarted except for one, which targeted a specific website that was down for six or seven minutes.”
His remarks came a day after the online activist group Anonymous claimed to have downed dozens of websites of Israeli state agencies and a top bank in protest over the Jewish state’s deadly air assault.
It also comes as both Israel and the Palestinians try exploiting the social networks in a furious effort to win over public opinion amid the worst outbreak of Middle East violence in four years.
Steinitz did not say who was responsible, but said the government had successfully managed to deflect almost every attack, thereby avoiding serious disruption or other damage.
On Saturday, Anonymous claimed to have downed or erased the databases of nearly 700 Israeli private and public websites, including that of the Bank of Jerusalem finance house.
It also claimed to have briefly downed the foreign ministry website.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved