Liverpool confirm Aspas capture
The 25-year-old, who scored 12 goals for Primera Division club Celta last season, has signed a long-term contract with the Reds after passing his medical at Melwood.
The deal is subject to international clearance, Liverpool announced on their website.
Liverpool, who announced last week they had reached an agreement in principle to sign Aspas, did not disclose the transfer fee but it is believed to be around ÂŁ7.7million.
Celtaâs successful fight against relegation from the Primera Division on the final day of the season earlier this month held up progress.
The Spaniard is Liverpoolâs third signing of the summer after agreeing a deal for Man City defender Kolo Toure before completing the capture of Luis Alberto from Sevilla on Saturday. Alberto, 20, has signed a long-term contract with the Anfield club after passing a medical, with the deal still subject to international clearance.
However, Liverpool have yet to agree a deal with Sunderland to sign goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, according to the playerâs agent.
The clubs had reportedly agreed a fee in excess of ÂŁ11m for the Belgium international.
But the 25-year-oldâs representative, Guy Vandermissen, says he has still not been informed from either club that a deal has been done.
âWe hope that there can be a deal and he can go to Liverpool,â he said.
âIf you go from Sunderland to Liverpool it is a big step forward.â
In other transfer news, Tottenham appear to be moving closer to a deal for Brazil midfielder Paulinho after the Corinthians star claimed the Premier League side have tabled a bid.
The 24-year-old is currently with his national side for the Confederations Cup but has been widely tipped to leave Corinthians for Europe after impressing in recent months.
âThere is an official offer from Tottenham to Corinthians,â Paulinho told reporters after Brazilâs 4-2 win over Italy, which he missed with an ankle injury.
âBut, as I did when there was an Inter Milan offer, Iâll sit and decide with my family before I make any decision. I will only do it after the Confederations Cup because itâs hard to deal with all these things.â
Elsewhere, Gus Poyet has confirmed he plans to lodge an appeal against Brightonâs decision to sack him as manager.
Brighton released a statement yesterday afternoon revealing Poyetâs exit following a decision by the npower Championship clubâs internal disciplinary panel.
The statement claimed the club had informed Poyet of the decision, however, the stunned boss rejected that live on air after learning the news while acting as a pundit on the BBC for the Confederations Cup.
Poyet said he had received no communication from the club and that he had only become aware of the decision after BBC staff handed him a copy of the Brighton statement while on set during the first half of the match between Spain and Nigeria.
âI think the BBC have a great story forever, because a manager getting information that he is being released from his employment by the BBC is quite surprising,â he said.
âI have had no communication, no texts, no e-mail.
âThe only thing Iâm concentrating on is the appeal. I will appeal because itâs the right thing to do.â
Meanwhile, ex-France boss Laurent Blanc as revealed he is set for talks with PSG. He said: âIâll be in Paris Monday for discussions. Thereâs a good chance I will sign.â




