Lord of the Dance shows cancelled at Cliffs of Moher

THE first open-air performances of Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance show, planned for Co Clare next month, have been postponed with less than a fortnight to go.

The two performances of the dance extravaganza, on September 1 and 2, were expected to attract up to 10,000 people to the iconic Cliffs.

The performances were also billed to coincide with the tourist attraction’s online campaign to be named as one of the “New7Wonders of Nature”.

In a statement late last night, MPO Promotions said: “What was to be the event of the decade at Co Clare’s iconic tourist location has been postponed by MPO Promotions. All ticket holders will be refunded in full by contacting Ticketmaster or point of sale outlets.”

“MPO Promotions would like to thank everyone who purchased tickets for this event, and regret the decision, but Ireland’s tough economic climate has been a major factor in the promoter’s decision,” the statement said.

The company thanked a wide range of groups who had been involved in the organisation of the event, including Michael Flatley and Unicorn Productions.

While MPO has said that the concerts have been postponed, there has been no indication from the company when or if the event will go ahead in the future. There are fears in Co Clare, however, that the plans have been abandoned completely.

Clare County Council has also expressed disappointment at the decision to postpone the event.

“The council recognises the considerable efforts of MPO Promotions in attempting to stage a truly unique event at the world famous site. This ambitious and innovative project formed part of Ireland’s efforts to make the Cliffs of Moher one of the new seven wonders of nature in the global competition that concludes on 11th November 2011.

“The council wishes to thank MPO Promotions and Michael Flatley for their ongoing support of the Cliffs of Moher.”

Chairman of the Shannon branch of the Irish Hotels Federation, Mr Michael Vaughan: “We are very disappointed that such an international headline event which would have been a real eye-catcher as a tourism product, has to go by the wayside like this. There would have been quite a good level of inquiry about accommodation in the area and even from golfing groups who planned to include the show in their itinerary.”

“The event would have been great for north Clare, especially at the start of the annual Lisdoonvarna festival. It is great that the council was involved but the promoters also deserve every credit and maybe luck wasn’t on their side especially in the current climate.”

The Kilfenora Ceili Band was expected to preform as was Finbar Furey.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Irish Examiner live news app for smartphones lets you quickly access breaking news, sport, business, entertainment and weather. appstoregoogle play
Irish Examiner ePaper app gives you the entire newspaper delivered to your phone or tablet for as little as 55c a day. epaper
Home

More From The Irish Examiner