‘Quiet Man’ cottage to be restored after decades of neglect
Monday, August 20, 2012
It has gone to wrack and ruin, having been neglected for 27 years.
By Nick Bramhill
But moves are finally under way to restore crumbling White O’ Morn, the once-iconic, thatched cottage where John Wayne wooed Maureen O’Hara in The Quiet Man.
In the past months, two separate talks have taken place between Culture Minister Jimmy Deenihan and the remote cottage’s previously elusive owner, California-based Canadian, Gregory Ebbitt, about transforming the Co Mayo dwelling into a €4m heritage and cultural centre.
Mr Ebbitt snapped up the cottage — located about 18km from Cong — in 1985, and signalled his intention to restore it.
But up to recently attempts to contact Mr Ebbitt failed, leaving campaigners at a stalemate in their mission to renovate the property.
However, Mike Ward, founder of campaign group, Save The Quiet Man Cottage, said talks were finally under way and the project could be completed by 2015.
He said the Government recognised the structure could potentially generate over €20m in revenue from the thousands of tourists who descend on Cong every year.
He also said Mr Ebbitt would continue to be a stakeholder in the project, as he has indicated he has no wish to part with the property.
Mr Ward said the bulk of the €4m needed to fund the project would be generated from fundraising activities in the US, targeting corporate donations and Hollywood.
He said: “There’s no doubt it has the potential to be an absolute goldmine and everyone sees that. We’ll be mounting a big fundraising campaign to make this work in the next couple of months.”
Meanwhile, tourist chiefs in Cong are getting ready to welcome up to 5,000 fans of the film next weekend for a three-day festival to celebrate the movie’s 60th anniversary.
O’Hara, who turned 92 last Friday, will be the first star to be honoured.
In his first public comments about the 2012 Connecticut school massacre, the father of gunman Adam Lanza said what his son did couldn't "get any more evil" and he now wishes his son had never been born.
The youngest Briton to fight in the First World War was just 12 years old — but Sidney Lewis' identity remained a secret for almost a century until the chance discovery of faded documents revealed his extraordinary story.
Justice Minister Alan Shatter is expected to come under renewed pressure to apologise to two Garda whistleblowers after a "damning" Garda Inspectorate report criticises the cancellation of penalty points by members of the force.
Former Irish Nationwide chairman Michael Walsh wrote to the late minister for finance, Brian Lenihan, warning him against bank mergers as the financial crisis escalated, according to a letter obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.
One of the most senior doctors in the Department of Health, Colette Bonner, has responded to assertions from the wind lobby that her review on the health effects of turbines was "extremely limited and incomplete".