He’s a global heart-throb — and by far Ireland’s most followed person on Twitter.
With more than three times as many followers as his nearest rival, One Direction star Niall Horan is king of the 140 character domain with more than 4m people hanging on his every word.
Unsurprisingly, Ireland’s Twitter top 10 is dominated by boybands, boys and former Boyzone stars.
Jedward lay claim to third spot, while Nicky Byrne of Westlife and Ronan Keating also boast massive followings.
Each week, over 1bn tweets are posted online by a global community of more than 175m registered users, with thousands joining it every day.
There is a notable spike in tweets whenever a major event is taking place. When Osama bin Laden was killed, there was an average of 5,106 tweets per second, but since Twitter is constantly attracting new users, records are constantly broken.
Here are Ireland’s most followed tweeters:
1. Niall Horan @niallofficial — 4,254,514
The Irish member of One Direction is by far the most followed Irish person on Twitter. The Mullingar native rose to fame on 2010’s X Factor and has a legion of tween fans on the social networking website.
2. Sinead Duffy @greatestquotes — 1,379,400
Life Coach Sinead Duffy manages the second-most popular Irish account on Twitter, with a following larger than the population of Estonia.
She regularly tweets quotes that she hopes will inspire her followers. The extra 10,809 followers she has at @GreatMindsLtd isn’t bad either.
3. Jedward @planetjedward — 645,109
Love or hate Jedward, there’s no escaping them.
4. Evanna Lynch @evy_ lynch — 346,821
The actress was catapulted to fame in 2006 after she beat 15,000 other girls to the part of Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter films.
5. Nicky Byrne @nickybyrneoffic — 254,267
Best known as part of Westlife, but before his rise to musical fame, Nicky spent two years on the books of Leeds United.
6. Paul Higgins @paulyhiggins — 276,390
The Dungarvan native may not be a household name, but his work as a bodyguard for boyband One Direction has earned him an army of fans.
7. Paul O’Mahony @paul atSMF — 221,610
Online expert Paul O’Mahony has been working on his own niche in social media marketing since 2009 and has travelled around the world giving presentations.
8. Ronan Keating @ronan official — 233,819
Ronan Keating is one of the most instantly recognisable names in Irish pop. Although Boyzone have parted ways, Ronan is still in the public domain as a judge of X Factor Australia.
9. Mark Feehily @MarkusFeehily — 204,057
The second-most followed member of Westlife and recently touring with the band.
10. Kian Egan — @Kian EganWL — 188,040
Continuing Twitter’s love of the now extinct boyband, Westlife’s Kian Egan is the 10th-most followed person in Ireland.
World Twitter Top 10
* 1. Lady Gaga — @ladygaga — 26,146,152 followers
* 2. Justin Bieber — @justinbieber — 23,853,216 followers
* 3. Katy Perry — @katyperry — 21,912,831 followers
* 4. Rihanna — @rihanna — 21,285,966 followers
* 5. Britney Spears — @britneyspears — 17,976,620 followers
* 6. Shakira — @Shakira — 16,715,016 followers
* 7. Barack Obama — @barackobama — 16,879,012 followers
* 8. Taylor Swift — @taylorswift — 15,514,594 followers
* 9. Kim Kardashian — @kimkardashian — 15,102,239 followers
* 10. Nicki Minaj — nickiminaj — 13,164,185 followers
* Figures up-to-date at time of going to press.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved