Esther N McCarthy picks her top ten themed treats for Halloween.
It’s a good trick, making Halloween an event we’re going to end up spending around €41million on.
Us Irish have really embraced the spooktacular celebration of All Hallow’s Eve as a proper festival on our calendars.
A survey commissioned by Webloyalty.ie shows we’re planning to spend 5.7% more than last year with over half of us saying that Halloween is as much for the adults as it is for the children.
According to the research, two thirds (65.8%) of Irish people say they will buy chocolates, sweets and confectionery for the occasion and just over a third of us (34.4%) aim to give out nice things to trick-or-treater callers.
But if you really want to embrace Halloween, there’s a whole lot of themed goodies out there, we’ve picked out our top ten.
1. There’s plenty of ghoulish garb out there for the kids but this fox tail tickled my fancy. It’s great if there’s any sensitive souls out there who don’t like the scarier outfits. It’s €23 from the British Library Shop, www.bl.uk/shop
2. We love this Count Colin the Caterpillar Cake, €10.50 and Mini Count Colin the Caterpillars, €3, from Marks & Spencer.
3. Trick or treat your skin this spooky season with The Body Shop’s Special Edition Vanilla Pumpkin range. We’re talking quintessential pumpkin fragrance, vanilla from Madagascar, and hints of tonka bean, hazelnut, and maple syrup. Your conscience will be clear too because these are 100% vegetarian and vegan. Prices start at €6.50. www.the bodyshop.i.e
4. The time is right for this creepy crawly watch from Swatch. It’s the LaVorando,€50, available at Swatch Store, Grafton Street, The Jewellery Hall Arnotts, Dublin Airport T1 &T2 and Munster stockists including Keanes, John Nevilles and Michels.
5. Break out your silly side for decorating the homestead with these bouncy skeletons from Flying Tiger stores nationwide. The price isn’t too terrifying either at €6.50.
6. Serve your guests in spooky style with this set from TK Maxx. Prices start at €6.50.
7. Embrace the fashion fun with these black pointed sock court boots, €75 from River Island.when you’re finished being a witch, you can wear them to the Christmas party. Only 61 days to go – now that is scary.
8. The Newpark hotel are offering a Hogwarts Halloween - 2 nights BB & 1 dinner or 3 nights BB & 1 dinner from €209 per room per night. www.flynnhotels.com/Newpark_Hotel_Kilkenny
9. Brown Thomas have this pumpkin hued Wedgwood Wonderlust Peony diamond teacup and saucer in stores now, €53.
10. Penneys have frightfully good makeup kits in store now. This is the Fright Club Kiss of Death set and it’s €10.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved