Whistleblower McCabe ‘lost six years of life’

The Garda whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe has admitted that the pursuit of wrongdoing within the force cost him and his family six years of their lives.

In an exclusive interview with the Irish Examiner, Mr McCabe said that, in highlighting wrong-doing in the penalty points system, he was only interested in repeat offenders, because these were the cases that were potentially a threat to road safety.

Sgt McCabe and former Garda John Wilson were honoured with a People of the Year award on Saturday night for their services in highlighting the penalty points scandal that has led to a complete overhaul of the system.

He said he had not been looking for small stuff. “I concentrated on the repeat offenders, the people who were getting off despite being caught again and again, often doing crazy speeds,” said Sgt McCabe.

The resistance he met in highlighting the issue, and the failure to properly investigate crime in the Co Cavan area, took its toll on his family, said his wife, Lorraine.

“It took over Maurice’s life completely, and we had to live with it,” she said. “Fear was my biggest thing. The fear of being set up for something. With all we had seen, you’d just never know.”

In the following months, a succession of events saw his core allegations of the mishandling of criminal investigations come to the fore. Senior counsel Sean Guerin investigated, and vindicated practically everything that Sgt McCabe had been saying.

Reports from the Garda Inspectorate on the penalty points, and criminal investigations within the force, further endorsed everything he had been saying.

“Every day Maurice went into work, he’d ring and I’d ask whether anything was waiting for him in there, he was getting all these instructions from Dublin,” said Lorraine. “Maurice goes out of the house and turns right, for Mullingar, where he’s based. I turn left and meet everybody. You’d see it, guards’ wives avoiding me. Some people stopped talking to me. It was all out in the public. And then, when the truth finally came out it was like a shadow had been lifted from our lives.”

Despite the toll, however, the sergeant, who is now serving in Mullingar, believes it was worth the outcome, which has seen Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan instigate a new regime which makes it much more difficult for the system to be abused.

“But I believe I did my job. I did my duty and that’s all that matters,” says Sgt McCabe.


© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

Related Articles

Maurice McCabe lawyers call for Garda Commissioner to step down

70% believe Garda Commissioner should step aside according to new poll

More in this Section

WATCH: Farming survey: Farmers oppose any Donald Trump visit to Ireland

Farming survey: Splashing the cash as the rural recovery takes hold

The party’s over: Cork to ban balloon launches

Gardaí and supervisors at odds on breath test scandal


Breaking Stories

Mum says autistic son now homeless in hospital, calls on HSE to provide solution

Roscommon woman wins €500,000 on scratch card just one month after winning €25,000

Skeletal remains found washed up on Co Clare shore

Witness heard child scream on night father and 3-year-old son drowned in Dublin tragedy

Lifestyle

The A-listers of Zeminar equipping Generation Z with the tools to deal with life’s challenges

Decoding craftsmanship at Cork event

Cork a Safe Harbour for a superb festival

Made in Cork: Tom Vaughan-Lawlor talks playing IRA man in Maze film

More From The Irish Examiner