Price of failure

CATHOLICS should not contribute to any special collections organised by dioceses in financial trouble as a result of having to pay large sums to victims of clerical sex abuse, a government TD has urged.

Fine Gael’s Tom Barry made his comments after it emerged that the Dublin archdiocese is near to financial collapse and is considering introducing a levy on mass-goers to bolster its reserves, having paying out €13.5 million in abuse claims.

Mr Barry, who lives in Killavullen in the Diocese of Cloyne, said hard-pressed Catholic families should not have to pay for the failure of the hierarchy to prevent some priests from abusing children.

Instead, Mr Barry said the Catholic Church could easily foot the bill itself by selling off one or two of the treasures it possessed in Rome.

“The Church also has huge assets in this country as well which it could sell off,” he said.

Mr Barry, a Catholic and a married father of three who regularly attends Mass, said he would urge all Catholic families to tell their priests and bishops that if money needs to be found to replace funds paid out to clerical sex abuse victims, then it must come from the Church itself.

“As a practicing Catholic I have absolutely no objection to providing money for the genuine upkeep of churches and I would regularly contribute. I have no problem putting my hand in my pocket for such things.

But already cash-strapped families shouldn’t have to contribute to a shortfall which resulted from pay-outs to abuse victims because of failings of the hierarchy,” he said.

He echoed the criticism Taoiseach Enda Kenny famously made on the role of the Vatican in its handling of clerical child abuse in this country.

“It is the whole system of the [Catholic Church] hierarchy which is the problem. They shouldn’t isolate that problem to Ireland. Therefore, any shortfalls in diocesan funds here should be made up by the Vatican,” Mr Barry said.

He was also highly critical of the way in which retired Bishop John Magee handled the fall-out from clerical sex abuse in the Diocese of Cloyne.

Bishop Magee left his house in Mitchelstown prior to the publication of the report and only returned a few days ago.

Bishop Magee issued a statement on Monday in which he said he accepted full responsibility for the failure of the diocese to effectively manage allegations on child sexual abuse.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

More in this Section

Coalition faces fresh crisis over response to abortion bill

High earners to gain most from USC cut

Sinead O’Connor pursued by Revenue at time of May ‘disappearance’

Couple fined for using fake €20 note


Breaking Stories

Taoiseach: Tax inducement to lure emigrants home would be 'unfair and discriminatory'

Ibrahim Halawa refusing prison visits because of 'deep depression'

Children's Ombudsman shares report detailing complaints they had to deal with last year

An Post investigate after 20 bags of undelivered post dating back nearly two years is found

Lifestyle

How to break up with dignity

Knights in shining armour: Irish full-contact medieval combat team set to showcase skills

Angelina Jolie hiring the best divorce lawyer in the business - Laura Alison Wasser

More From The Irish Examiner